• Register Today It's free!

No 4low, why?

spotdog14

Reaction score
City, State
East Lansing, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
Greetings everyone. I have a 95 Limited 4wd. Anyways we purchased use, and are the thrid owner. The X spend most of its life in SoCal, and now it lives in Michigan. Anyways i am guessing that they never used 4low.

Anyways the truck will go from 2wd to 4hi no problem, just like it should, but when shifting to 4low (yes i am doing it right, its not the first 4wd Ford i have owned) all it will do is blink the 4hi and 4low dash lights at me. I have not gotten under the truck to see if i can hear if the shift motor is trying to engadge or not.

Do you think it is the shift motor on the t-case or the actual t-case itself? The reason i think it is te t-case is because i have a strange clunk sound from the drive train some where, and its not the U-Joints, and from what else i have read it seems to be the t-case. When i spin the front drive shaft i can hear the chain inside the t-case (and it is pretty loud). The fluid looks good though so i dont know..

Anyways what do you guys think?

Thanks!

I'd try Searching the forum - this topic comes up every few weeks so its been beaten to death.

Back