No Brake Pedal Pressure Issue? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Brake Pedal Pressure Issue?

EvoHo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited AWD
Hi everyone, I'm not sure if I have an issue with my brake pressure or not but I've had my 2013 Explorer sit for a week and when I went to start the car (I have a push button start), I noticed that the brake pedal is basically all the way down to the floor. Once I start the car, the pedal bounces back and it's perfectly fine and responsive when I'm driving. Also if I make a stop to run an errand and hop back into the car a couple of hours later, the pedal is just fine. At first I thought I might have a leak but I've checked the ground for any fluid leaks and found nothing. I've had this happen before and it doesn't seem to happen if I drive the Ex the next day or a couple days after but it has happened when I let it sit for 6 or 7 days. I was just curious if anyone else may have run into this same issue before? Thanks in advance for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi everyone, I'm not sure if I have an issue with my brake pressure or not but I've had my 2013 Explorer sit for a week and when I went to start the car (I have a push button start), I noticed that the brake pedal is basically all the way down to the floor. Once I start the car, the pedal bounces back and it's perfectly fine and responsive when I'm driving. Also if I make a stop to run an errand and hop back into the car a couple of hours later, the pedal is just fine. At first I thought I might have a leak but I've checked the ground for any fluid leaks and found nothing. I've had this happen before and it doesn't seem to happen if I drive the Ex the next day or a couple days after but it has happened when I let it sit for 6 or 7 days. I was just curious if anyone else may have run into this same issue before? Thanks in advance for any help!
Now that you have brought this up, mine might have done the same thing a few days ago but it didn't go right down but further than usual. Unfortunately I can't be 100% sure but your post seemed to trigger something in the ol' grey matter. It isn't unusual for my Ex (SUV) to sit in the garage for 3 days or so and I think it was 4 days when this may have happened. Right after it started everything seemed fine so I never thought anything about it. If it sits that long again, I'll see if it does it.

Peter

Thanks for the response! I was kind of curious to see if other manufacturers had the same issue so I did an open search and I guess it's kind of a normal thing. I've read about users who have had the same issue with their BMW's, Infiniti's, Kia's, Volkswagen's, etc. Some were worse than others (like brake pedals going down overnight or users having a hard time starting the car with the brake pedal depressed all the way) but it's generally pretty common I guess. Not sure if I had this issue on any of my turn key ignition vehicles but then again I never thought about pressing the brake to start those.

Hi everyone, I'm not sure if I have an issue with my brake pressure or not but I've had my 2013 Explorer sit for a week and when I went to start the car (I have a push button start), I noticed that the brake pedal is basically all the way down to the floor...

Hi EvoHo,

You can always swing by your dealership and have them take a look at your Explorer. They'll be happy to check out your vehicle, perform an inspection, and determine if a repair is needed. I can also bring this to the attention of your regional customer service manager; just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll do the rest!

Crystal

Just thought I'd update you on my find so far. The vehicle sat for 5 days and when I started it on the 6th day, the brake was right up. There was very little room for downward pressure.

Peter

On start up on my 2013 XLT the brake peddle goes down maybe about an inch, but no where close to the floor. It's the same no matter how long it sets......best regards plum

Back