• Register Today It's free!

No Clutch Pedal Pressure HELP

catfisher81

Reaction score
City, State
London, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 Ford Ranger XLT
I have a 1991 xlt 4 door 5 speed with a 4.0 mfi. I replaced the clutch last febuary. I am easy on my vehicle I do not do any off roading. I was at a traffic light this evening and I had a noise anyway when i engaged the clutch. been haveing this noise for about 3 days. I have been having to add fluid to the resevore for about 5-6 months now cause it was leaking out some where Finally i lost all pressure in the clutch. if i shut the vehicle off i can shift it into any gear. so to get the vehicle home tonight i shut it off and put it into first gear and as i was starting it the vehicle was jump forward a little with every crank of the engine. It finally started and i drove it home in first gear. I got home pulled the dust cover/inspection cover off and looked at my slave cylinder and it looks as if the spring is messed up on the slave cylinder and i see a part of the slave cylinder that looks as if it is beeing tore up by the spring on the plastic part of the slave cylinder. so what i guess i am asking is, is my slave cylinder shot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the slave is the guilty culprit. By the way... if you HAVE to drive the rig home again, or to a repair shop, you can still shift through the gears while driving, you just have to line the RPM's up with what gear you are going into. I had the clutch cable in my old tow truck go out and I was about 20 or so miles from our shop and I had to drive it back like that. The only thing is, at every stop, you still have to turn your rig off and start it in 1st gear. Good luck!

so the slave is the probably out then. I found one at autozone for like 64 bucks, like i said i am a family man i do do off roading except through a hay feild or some snow so this aftermarket slave should be okay for my driviing style right ??

Yeah. You should be fine. Ive gotten a lot of parts through AZ and for the most part, they have been perfect. Just don't get the lifetime guarantee starter that they have there. They are re-mans and they suck. Seriously. I had to do my wifes S-10 twice and they tried to tell me that their bench test showed that there was nothing wrong. Dingleberries. But as far as everything Else that I have purchased from them, I have been completely satisfied. It doesn't hurt to do some shopping around though! ;)

checked the picks of your 94 ex. nifty. I want everything back to factory style and then i want to alot of attention to detail on the looks as far as paint cleanlyness and what not. I will put pics on hear. asap. when i put this slave in, what is a good way to bleed the clutch, I replaced the hydrolic clutch light too. and some people say there is only one way to bleed these clutches. is that true? also i got when i pull the tranny out. is it easier to drop it with the trnsfer on or off the tranny.

Thanks for the compliment! As you can tell by the pics, cleanliness is not part of my Ex's vocab... unless it's raining.:D As far as the only way to bleed the slave... no idea. As of this moment, my X is baby sitting its 2nd A4LD Auto. But give me a couple more weeks and it will be the proud new mother of a 5 speed woo hoo! Thats right... my rig's a girl... so what?!

I would not buy a parts store slave cylinder, I buy everything at oriellys and I would not buy one from there again.
I bought one and it lasted 6 months. I dont know if it has something to do with the fact the 91-92 is a different design than the 93+ ones.
Motorcraft is the way to go, yes its alot more, but look how long they usually last. Plus the clutch action is a lot smoother, easier to push in. I have a hays super brute clutch, and its a piece of cake with the new slave.
Just my two cents, learn from my mistake!

Back