No CEL, but... intake manifold gaskets? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No CEL, but... intake manifold gaskets?

BHop

Reaction score
City, State
Victoria, B.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XL
Hello,

My 97 X stumbles at certain rpm's and certain speeds when accelerating. However, I am not getting a CEL. Is it possible that even though my CEL isn't on, that there are codes to be pulled?

After doing some looking around on the forum, I am kinda leaning toward the intake manifold gasket. My X has about 100,000 miles on it. Does this sound logical?

Do all the 2nd gen 4.0 explorers have intake manifold gasket issues?

This problem started last summer when I washed my engine. I drove it immediately after rinsing it, and that when it started stumbling. As I drove it more, some of the symptoms went away, but it's still there. I checked my coil pack, my wire set, and a few of the susceptible harnesses for any rusting on the connections, and I haven't found any.

Is it possible that the engine wash, in addition to the operating temperatures reached when I drove my truck to dry it, could have shriveled up my intake manifold gasket(s)?

One more thing, my fuel economy has not changed one bit, I get about 19mpg.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I don't think washing the engine would affect the intake gaskets. I would start by checking the throttle possition sensor. And of course, I would not recomend washing the engine again.

Thank you, I will give that a try when I get the chance.

I will also post my results.

My truck is having the same issue... but my hard Idles real rough..

Back