no CEL / no start, cranks fine | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

no CEL / no start, cranks fine

Main ground was the problem

Ok with the help of several people on here this issue is solved.

The main ground that connects to the negative side of the battery is where pins 40 and 60 go. There is a quick disconnect there. My negative wires were a little boogered up.

What I did:

About half the wire on the quick disconnect I replaced on both. Then I ran a new ground for the one that goes to the body. I used 10 gauge wire to match the factory size.

How I determined this:

By having a spare harness (my old one) I unbound it from the factory wrapping, and proceeded to tear into it looking to see if it was possible to have a messed up wire. My conclusion is no. The grounds are buried really well and then there's two or three layers of protective wrapping, I don't see how a wire could screw up.

The downside:
Now I have a CEL on, but it's probably a sensor, and since it runs at the present time, I am not going to mess with it.

I don't have 2 oxygen sensors or egr, or dpfe sensors to worry about.

Thanks for all who supplied their input. Phil, a big thanks for the schematics.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One or two of the PCM ground wires are routed up and splice into the pigtail off of the negative battery post cable. I had that splice corrode out on me at one point. If it looks like a problem with the PCM ground, there's another location to look at.

And you said it 4 days ago, this was the problem.

Back