• Register Today It's free!

no crank/ no start

fishwish3

Reaction score
City, State
northampton,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport 4X4
ok, long story short, went out this morning, to go to my first class of the day and the rig wont kick over, as the title says, no crank/ no start condition. fuel pump works, got 12.5 volts, got power down to the starter, no power to the control wire need to test the ignition switch? or keep testing components, any help is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If someones around try tapping the strater while someone turns the key over. Is there any kind of click or anything?

all the relays are clicking except for the starter solenoid, i just took the cover off for the steering column bumped something and it kicked right over, i really dont know what i did

all the lights come on as they normally would when you start it, but when i attemp to crank it the brake warning light comes on and the airbag light dims a little, but now once again, it will not start

i am at a loss, i would rather not take the starter out again as they are a PIA to get out. and i would also rather not have it towed back up to my local friendly garage and have another 150 dollar towing bill, any suggestions or ideas? or just get it towed?

well, from the sounds of things, it is NOT your starter since you "fudged" around in the steering area and caused a start.... check your connections for voltage AND grounds with a METER. There should be voltage and ground at the main starter points at ALL times. Voltage is applied to the "pull up" solenoid (thru the starter relay) ONLY when you key is turned to "start". IF you aren't seeing it then, its NOT the starter, its somewhere in your wiring between your ignition switch, the starter relay and the starter solenoid.

that one time that i did get a start, it cranked normally, and just before it kicked over, the starter began to turn very slowly and then it kicked, no lights on the dash dim when attempting to crank and the fog lights do not dim when attempting to crank.

well, as a update. the rig is now fixed again, it was indeed the starter, had the shop do it, got done in a hour where it took me 4 hours on the ground.

Back