No crank, no start... SOLVED/Thanks! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No crank, no start... SOLVED/Thanks!

Post number 27 has been selected as best answered.

There are good aftermarket starters made, but also many low end brands too. It's hard to know which are which, and the OEM units often do last 10+ years often.

I'd buy a Motorcraft starter for a spare if you like to keep one. A rebuilt used one can be almost as good as new units, and many times Ford doesn't make a part new any longer, only remanufactured. The prices have gone up to rebuild one also, they used to be under $50. So if you go hunting, ask around for rebuild costs, and the prices for a used one versus new. One of the last that I bought was $10 at a PAP, laying on the ground so no removal time. It was about $60 total after rebuilding it locally.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Weird as it may seem I'm still on the original starter. My parents bought the car new and I got it at 112000 miles. It now has over 200000 miles and I have not had a problem with it, knock on wood.
Mine went at around 250,000 miles. It had trouble starting for a few months before that. Luckily I got it going with a hammer and was able to drive home. It’s weird because it started on its own without the hammer one last time before I replaced it.

I rebuilt mine 70k ago
Been mint
I suggest to rebuild your motorcraft starter or have it rebuilt at a local rebuilder
If you still have it

Hey guys i have a 2001 explorer sport. I went out to leave and when i turned the key. Nothing... No light on dash no start no crank. I noticed that there was a big black rectangular plug that was unplugged that connects to a part between the battery and the fuse panel box under the hood. Tbe part has metal or aluminum lines coming from it. Anyways the plug has a bunch of pins but wont stay plugged in. Does anyone know what that plug is or how to make it connect?

Do you have anti theft ? Look at the blinking red light...when you turn ignition on does it blink fast or regular slow? If fast ...you gonna need a new chip key....
This is what my security light is doing. I have a 2005 Explorer. I’ve got No codes, No crank, No start. Starter will engage and turn engine over but won’t start if I jump the terminals together at the starter solenoid mounted to the starter. What would be the cheapest route for doing this with a new chip key, and how do you program the new chip key to the truck?

Back