No EGR on a 94 XLT? I'm serious its not there | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No EGR on a 94 XLT? I'm serious its not there

burning_soul07

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
So, I am getting error codes for the EGR, also.

I was going to troubleshoot this, and I could not find an EGR Valve or the solenoid anywhere on the engine, so I decided to search and found this thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288853

According to the diagrams designation of these parts, I have NO EGR.

ford001.jpg

Is there another location for this.

Edit.... The wiring harness' that are hanging unconected there are for the EGR (2 pin Red / Brown and Pink) not sure yet what the other ones is for, verified this off of AutoZones wiring diagram on there site.

How could this be that the engine doesn't have an EGR or any of its components, doesn't have a hole plugged on the exhaust manifold, but still is pulling a code for EGR Code 327: EGR Feedback Low.

My codes are as followed:

On the first sets of codes:
327: EGR Feedback is low.
565: Canister Purge 1 Solenoid Failure

Then on the second sets of codes:
172: O2 Sensor
173: O2 Sensor
186: Indicator Pulse Width longer then expected or Mass Air Flow (MAF) lower then expected - Fuel Control
214: Error in cylinder ID
327: EGR Feedback is/ was low

Please take note these codes were pulled with a cold engine, truck hasn't ran all weekend.

Also, I posted this on another thread, the one listed above, but I need my own thread for this one.

Any info on the lack of an EGR?
Also, any info on my CEL code list?

Only other thing I can think now is this engine is from an older explorer that didn't have a EGR. I wouldn't know. Any engine ID codes to check?

Update, I just cleaned the MAP and put it back in, very dirty (coated in black crap). Also, the 2nd wire harness that was unidentified before is a 2nd TPS wire clip. It DOES NOT stretch far enough to reach the TPS itself. More for me to think that the engine isn't original.

Yeah, after I changed the motor on my '91, it did also have the EGR fail code too, and of course, it didn't have the EGR anywhere to be found. In my case, we tested the fuel pressure regulator and it was EXCESSIVE, I had a spare one off another motor after from the swap, and it resolved my problem.
What brought the attention to it was the way it ran, it was kind of back-firing strangely.
If you got a pressure tester or a buddy with one, then at least try that, IMO

So would a ECM (computer) out of a older X that didn't have an EGR be a possible fix for me? Or do the pins not match or different pins for different components between years.

Could I just wire that EGR harness to think its working? I am pretty pissed off that I didn't know explorers and now that I am getting to know them I get one thats been all fu3ked with by someone else. I knew this guy I got it from was a fluke.

It looks like someone swapped in a early motor that does not have EGR on it. Using the computer from a non egr motor is a possible solution, but I don't know what differences there are in the harness.
I don't think it will ever be "right" with the computer that is setup for EGR because the tune is probably different and expecting EGR flow into the intake.

The disconnected connectors look like the ones for the EGR vacuum control and the DPFE sensor (sensor for EGR flow)

They probably used the exhaust manifolds from the old engine, hence the lack of any tubing for the EGR. Looks like they took the lazy way and did not clean up those rusty, leaking valvecovers either.

There is only one wiring connector for the TPS and it is plugged in. (Up on the throttle body by the intake pipe)

Also your intake pipe is not stuffed onto the intake... and what is with those hose clamps on the A/C line coming up from the far side of the throttle body? :confused:

Unfortunately, it looks like this truck was messed around with quite a bit. The good thing is they are quite plentiful in the yards if you need to get the other computer and harness, but it will be a good bit of work to put it in.

Back