• Register Today It's free!

No electrical power

Jakevmi80

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XL
New: Is it possible to have a good battery but bad connections. I just checked it again today but have weak accessory lights but not enough to turn over the engine. So that probably means the cable are okay and I have a bad battery or alternator.

I just tried to start my 94 Explorer, when I turned the key to the first position I got all the normal lights. When I fully turned it to start, the lights went out and nothing went to the starter. Now it seems fully dead. The battery and alternator are less than a year old so that can't be it. I don't even get an indication of a weak battery. I heard a slight popping noise when this happened. Does this sound like a fuse and if so where is it located?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like your starter selnoid is bad, try testing that first, all your accessories will go out while your ignition is in the start position accept for your head and taillights, it's designed that way so all your amps will go to your starter while starting.

or make sure all your power connections are tight, i just now seen where you said you heard a poping noise, if you have a bad connection an arching noise could be the poping sound your hearing.

wait, did your lights come back on after you returned it to run position, if not then you might have blown your main fuse, look in the junction box under your hood, find the main fuse it will be your highest ampp fuse, i cant remeber how many amps, 100 amp fuse i think

First, check the battery termonals for looseness or corrosion.

Use a voltmeter or test light and make the following measurements:

1) Voltage at battery while cranking. If voltage drops below 9 or 10 V, replace battery.

2) Voltage at starter relay, input and output (inside front fender, passenger side). If no output, replace relay.

3) Voltage at starter motor while cranking. If voltage is OK with ign on, but drops to near zero while cranking, positive battery cable is bad.

The heavy red wire goes from the battery directly to the starter motor, without going through any fuses.

I had a no-start problem, but battery and accessories were OK. It turned out that the positive battery cable had a high resistance where the wire goes into the terminal lug. I could jump start myself by connecting a jumper cable between the battery and the starter, thus bypassing the big red wire.
Quick fix: drill through the lead terminal right above the red wire. Stop drilling when you hit copper. Tap the hole and put a #8 or #10 screw in it. Snug down the screw until it makes good cantact between the lead terminal and the wire.

CAUTION: When working on th electrical system, wear safety glasses ansd remove all rings and jewellery.

Bob

When looking for corroded cables, keep in mind that they can corrode from the inside.

Back