94 no electrical power | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 no electrical power

The battery should have at least 12+ volts after sitting overnight, although voltage isn't the entire story. A weak battery could take a charge and put out over 12 volts without a load, but still be too weak to operate a starter. Some years ago I had an old battery that tested less than half of its original amp-hour capacity, but would still start a vehicle, provided there were no other issues.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Starter was replaced a couple months ago, works well if you can get it to go off. I dont know how old the alternator is, battery currently has 11 volts, is that still too low to start? or cause it to die? Normally I would have 14 volts..

That's too low.
Normally, an at-rest battery should have 12.5-12.8 volts...
11's are low, and yes, maybe too low to start it. If you have a charger you might give it a shot overnight. Then monitor voltage for the next couple of days to see if the battery can hold at least 12.2-12.4. If it can't, consider replacing it.

Test your alternator by putting the positive probe of a multimeter on the big lug at the alternator and the negative probe on the negative terminal of the battery.
It should read 13.9-14.09 (while running.)

I believe it was mentioned in an earlier post, but cable corrosion will cause problems. Especially when it's made its way into the cable. You won't see it, but if you bend the cable it should be stiff and not flexible. Question is, at which point in the cable.

bad cables will intermittently let enough power through to crank the engine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 130

11 Volts is certainly a dead battery. I've seen problems with as much as 12.2 volts. As was stated Volts doesn't mean squat without current.

I had a problem on my old truck where the coil would get warm then stop making spark but would always test fine when cold. a spark plug can do the same thing but its is likely to lose all your plugs at once. I suspect you have multiple issues compounding your problem.

if your voltage is low, do a good charge on your battery and then leave a cable disconnected, check your voltage 12 hours later with the cables off and see if it maintains its charge. If it drops with no cables connected, your battery is TU. if it maintains 12+ volts you may have a parasitic draw killing your battery as it sits all day or night. could be something in your radio or amp, or a hood light that wont shut off. A weak battery will screw with all electrical diagnostics, you just have to drop the coin on a new one.

Back