No Front Driveshaft | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Front Driveshaft

Neanderthal57

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT AWD
I just bought a 97 AWD Explorer. It has no front driveshaft. I don't know if it was removed because something was wrong with it or there was a problem with the transfer case. Is there any way I can determine if the transfer case is okay without having someone take it apart?

I didn't pay a whole lot for the truck and I'm not sure it's worth fixing if its a lot more than replacing the driveshaft. The truck has 110,000 miles on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it really an "AWD" as in you have the 5.0L v8 engine? The reason I ask is because if you do have that, then a front driveshaft is required or else there is a chance that the vehicle will creep backwards/forward if you park it on any incline.

As for determining whether or not the transfer case is okay, I'd say install a front driveshaft and test it out. If it is an AWD/v8 and there is something wrong with the transfer case, then it might clunk or hesitate/buck (binding in the drivetrain) as you turn into a parking lot.

It definitely is AWD,it creeps on hills the whole works. I was hoping to find a way to avoid buying a driveshaft if the problem is the transfer case. If I can determine the transfer case is okay I have no problem buying a driveshaft.

From what we've witnessed on the forum, there are not really that many things that can go wrong with the transfer case since its a pretty simple unit. So usually its either a bearing or the viscous coupling - most of which are pretty easy to replace.

But having said that, another reason why one might remove the front driveshaft is because of the front axle/differential.

Well, I'm not sure how you can easily tell if there is an issue with the front differential or transfer case without a driveshaft... I'd buy one, install it, and see what the issue is and fix it from there. That is, if it's worth it to you. But the previous owner obviously took it off for a reason...

That's why I thoroughly check out my used cars I buy incase, you know, something important like a front driveshaft is missing ;)

It definitely is AWD,it creeps on hills the whole works. I was hoping to find a way to avoid buying a driveshaft if the problem is the transfer case. If I can determine the transfer case is okay I have no problem buying a driveshaft.

An AWD vehicle won't drive without the front driveshaft. It will just slip. If it actually drives, then you can be sure something is broken/locked in the transfer case. Not that expensive or difficult to repair though. You can do it yourself with junkyard parts.

An AWD will drive w/o the front driveshaft as long as you don't try to race it. The viscuous device does not behave like a fully open differential.

EDIT - this is why the vehicle "creeps" instead of just flat out rolling downhill when it is put in park w/o a front driveshaft .

An AWD will drive w/o the front driveshaft as long as you don't try to race it. The viscuous device does not behave like a fully open differential.

EDIT - this is why the vehicle "creeps" instead of just flat out rolling downhill when it is put in park w/o a front driveshaft .

I know how it works, but I would think it would barely be able to accelerate without slipping. And I would also think the massive slippage would destroy the coupling very quickly.

Been driving mine for 3 months w/out front shaft. I have taken several
200 mile trips that way. Bought it w/out one, put in a jy part, transfer case clanged like a stomp concert. Took it out. Collecting parts for my 4406 swap.
seems pretty common that the viscous coupler fails on these. The issue is
the price and availabilty of the coupler, and hoping it "stays fixed". In my case its actually cheaper to do a full on 4X4 swap, and have something that is useable and fun.

Back