• Register Today It's free!

front driveshaft

chris223401

Reaction score
City, State
Grant Park Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 xlt
Okay so i know this is a very debated topic but i have a 98 explorer with auto 4wd. My question is if i remove my front driveshaft would i have to worry about messing anything up in my transfer case?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, that discussion was only applicable for AWD.

So if i were to remove the driveshaft i wouldnt have to worry about screwing anything up?

Yeah, it won't hurt anything. You just won't have 4WD, obviously. May I ask why you're removing it?

if you have worries, do a search on "brown wire mod". that will keep the case locked in 2wd, and it will be like you dont have a front drive shaft. and if anyone says that will harm your transfer case, i did it to mine, and did all sorts of stupid things up until it all came out for the v8 swap.

I drive an hour each way to school and i was kind of hoping this would help increase my gas milegae. Thats what im hoping wether it will work out for me probaly not because i know me and nothing works as planned

I'd be interested to know if it does increase im kinda leaning towards no beacause your front diff is goin to be turning th only way to get around that would be to remove the hubs ( not a good idea ) but woth driveshafy out 2 lo is pretty fun

Back