• Register Today It's free!

No Fuel Gauge

Modemagic

Reaction score
City, State
Davenport, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLs
I noticed today when I put gas into my '93 the fuel gauge isn't working. When u start the truck from a stop you'll see the gauge move back down to zero from where ever it rests at when turned off (usually around half a tank) but whether the tank is full or empty, it reads it as being empty.

Since the needle does move, it tells me that the needle isn't broken or frozen. Would this be a sending unit problem then? Whether its disconnected or short/open circuit?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be sender problem, I'd replace the gauge before dropping the tank. The gauge has some prongs on the back so all you have to do is pull out that gauge and put in a new one.

The gauge as in the gauge in the dashboard? I assume that part can only be found @ Ford any idea on cost?

The sending unit I assume is on top of the tank? Have to drop the tank to get to it?

Yes. The gauge on the dashboard. Ford would have it but I'm sure someone on the board, or eBay would have one for much cheaper than them. I believe the sender is on the pump, which is in the tank.

i would check the connector at the tank. it is near the frame on the drivers side. when you disconnect the connector turn the car on and see if the needle moves i think that it reads full when disconnected. if the needle moves, it's probably the sending unit. yes you have to drop the tank to get to it. since you have a 4x4 you have a cover over the tank that has to be removed to remove the tank. replacing the sending unit takes about 4-5 hours. i did it by myself and it wasn't that bad. if you do have to drop the tank replace the screen on the fuel pump. it's like 3 bux and goooooood insurance. if you need a sending unit or a gauge check a salvage yard. they aren't that bad. sometimes people parting out an ex will have the parts that you need. good luck.

The sender is probably still good but the float has sprung a leak and sunk. If you measure the sender it will probably read 15 ohms (normal empty). People have said that the float is available for $5 from Ford. This is a fairly common problem.

I don't have a 4x4, but there seems to be a cover underneath the gas tank to protect it. Anyone have a how-to on how to check the sending unit out? Or a pic of the connecter to unplug to see if it'll go to full??

to check out the sending unit refer to a haynes manual. they have step-by-step instructions on how to check it out. i can tell you that the connector is kinda round and is normally attached to the frame on the drivers side near the tank. it has 4 or 5 wires attached to it. if you unplug this connector the fuel pump won't work and the gauge on the dash should move one way or the other (full or empty). that'll be a check of the gauge and should tell you if the sender isn't working. i agree with opera house in that the float could have sprung a leak. mine did and it always read empty. but personally if i was gonna drop the tank to replace the float, i would replace the sender since it isn't any more of a hassle and you have elimated a potential problem later.

Should be B/Y and Y/W wires, these are opposite each other and are the two smaller wires of the four. 15 ohms empty, 170 ohms full.

Back