• Register Today It's free!

No Fuel pressure / Need HELP!

Matthnm201

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer xlt rwd 5.0
So I am in the middle of a frame swap for a 1948 ford F1. I wanted a good strong drive train for the truck so I went with a 1998 Explorer xlt rwd 5.0 v8. I drove the explorer home 2 weeks ago and started the process of removing the body for the build. yesterday I removed the complete electrical harness from the body and re-connected it so I can start the engine periodically to keep it running during the build. Now it will not start (will start with starting fluid). the engine turns over but I have no fuel pressure. I jumped the relay and still no fuel pressure. changed the fuel filter and fuel pump, checked the fuel cutoff switch that would be in the passenger floor area ( Inertia switch as suggested in another thread), everything seems correct but no power to the fuel pump from what I can tell. fuse is good, changed relay just incase, Any ideas? Any other sensors that would stop it from getting power to the fuel pump? the engine will start with starting fluid. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You are using the proper key, and the steering column is intact, plus the dash wiring and all modules are too?

The inertia switch has to be upright to feed the fuel pump, it's a cut off for the vehicle turning over. If you have it laying on it's side at all, it can be "tripped" off. Stick your finger in the top of it to be sure the red "ball" is pushed down to the bottom.

You are using the proper key, and the steering column is intact, plus the dash wiring and all modules are too?

The inertia switch has to be upright to feed the fuel pump, it's a cut off for the vehicle turning over. If you have it laying on it's side at all, it can be "tripped" off. Stick your finger in the top of it to be sure the red "ball" is pushed down to the bottom.

using the key that came with it, inertia switch is upright, steering column is intact, all the modules and everything are connected except air vent actuators. even the radio is connected. i have seen someone say resetting the anti-theft can be done with the driver door, is there a module inside the door possibly? I am not seeing an error with the anti-theft with my scanner but when I first connected everything I had a code for it.

Watch the dash, the "THEFT" light, as you turn the ignition on, and see what it does. If it flashes after being on for a moment, that means the key code was not received and the fuel pump is disabled. Sometimes the code receiver next to the key cylinder doesn't receive the code from the key. That has been a problem for some people with these occasionally.

Did you put your finger in the inertia switch to check it? It's a simple device that any mild impact will pop the internal ball off of its seat.

In one of my 98's the wiring connector is being pulled out of the inertia switch. Prior work had been done I think due to body damage, and likely the harness had been out and it's moved, without enough slack to the switch. So I get the engine cutting out once in a while, and I go down there and push the connector back up fully.

Back