• Register Today It's free!

No Gears At all 5r55w!!

Sully1

Reaction score
City, State
Petoskey, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4.0
Ok i was on my way home 2 days ago and i was just cruising in OD at highway speeds and out of nowhere the engine revved to about 4500 rpm and then the engine shut off (Is that some sort of safety feature??) I coasted it over to the side of the road and once stopped, put it in park and restarted the engine, and it fired up fine. put it in drive, absolutely nothing. put it in reverse, nothing, put it in every other gear possible including 4hi and 4lo, nothing. just put this trans in about 3 weeks ago and drove it for close to 1000 miles without a single problem and then this.

Can anyone please tell me what could be wrong??:banghead: it is a 2002 EX 4dr 4.0 5r55w trans if that helps any.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Low fluid? The valve body could have just blown up inside the transmission...under torqued bolts maybe?

i know it isnt low on fluid just drained and filled it last night. and i didnt do the rebuild myself i bought the trans off of someone who wrecked their ex right after it was rebuilt, so i dont think the bolts were under torqued (if you're talking about the bolts for the valve body). what would i have to do to look at the valve body and see if its ok?

If the vehicle holds in park then we know that its not the transfer case or drive shaft or rear differential. For the transmission to quit pulling like that it has ether lost its fluid or fluid pressure. If it is full of fluid then we need to check to see if the pump is working, the quickest way is to remove a cooler line and check for cooler flow from the trans to the cooler, this will tell you that the pump is at least working.

If no flow I would suspect a failed pump, could be from missing dowel pins in the engine block or a converter that wasn't fully seated (this usually fails quick) or maybe the plate on the back of the converter wasn't centered. Ether way it will have to come out to be repaired.

Sounds like you might have found your culprit. (which is up there)^^^

dang, i was hoping it would be something that didnt require me tearing it out for a 3rd time :banghead:.... but when i get the chance today ill disconnect a cooler line and see if theres any flow. thanks for the quick reply

Well.... the pump is shot. When I go to replace it, does anyone know if the bolts holding the whole pump assembly in are reusable? When I tore the old trans that I had apart I noticed that they have some sort of washer around them that would pop when I was taking them out.

Well.... the pump is shot. When I go to replace it, does anyone know if the bolts holding the whole pump assembly in are reusable? When I tore the old trans that I had apart I noticed that they have some sort of washer around them that would pop when I was taking them out.
Shouldn't the new pump come with new fasteners?

Manual told me when I replaced my transmission to replace the torque converter to crankshaft bolts, and I didn't. It's not a necessity, but would give peace of mind I guess.

Back