• Register Today It's free!

No go on my 98 Ford ranger

C-saw

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford ranger
Just rebuilt a 4r44e transmission but after filling with fluid I get no forward or reverse does not seem to be getting any pressure through the value body any ideas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you get the manual valve hooked up? How much fluid have you put in it?

Did you get the manual valve hooked up? How much fluid have you put in it?
Manual valve is hooked up and filled with 2gal of fluid no movement in any position

With 2 gallons of fluid in it is it above the full mark on stick? If 4x4 transfer case in neutral? What was initially wrong with transmission before rebuild. May want to check fluid level before starting and then after starting to de if the level goes down to rule out a pump issue.

Some one put some kind of addictive in and all the rubber seals were shot but the truck still moved put all new seals and clutch’s in the pump showed no signs of wear but will put pan on and refill to check if fluid goes down

2 gallons is 8 quarts, the system holds more like 14 quarts.......

Embarrassed to say that I did this once, I was only 3 quarts short in a 20 litre trani, but got zero movement.

Should hold in the 9.5 to 10 quarts. Unless it has auxiliary cooler. Won’t hold 14 quarts.
Sounds like the pump isn’t picking fluid up. Check fluid before you start it, should be about 1 inch above full mark. Start it and then check it to see if it went down.
Good luck.
Brad

If you have a new converter and the trans was drained fully (rebuilt) it will hold alot more then 8!! 10? I guess it is the aux cooler on the explorers because I have changed more then 10-20 4r55e/5r55e and I always buy 12 quarts to make sure i have enough Mercon V

Got enough fluid but still no movement pulled it back out and took the front pump off can see no wear seems like it’s getting no pressure

Did you take the pump apart to see if it has been rebuilt?
We have had some re manufactured pumps in recent years that made no pressure when installed, we took them apart to find they were incomplete (missing bolts!!). My builder now rebuilds his own pumps. Trying to save $100 bit us in the a$$ twice.
Sorry to hear this is happening to you, rebuilding the 4r55e can be a real process some times.
Who rebuilt this unit?
Do you have pressure gauges?

Back