• Register Today It's free!

No Headlights Help

bender

Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Limited
96 sport has an intermittant problem with the headlights not working. Extensive searching has made me believe it is either the headlight turn knob switch or the multifunction switch (turn signal stalk) pulling the multifunction switch forward flashes the highs. even when the headlights are not operational. How do i decipher if it is in fact the multifunction switch or the headlight switch. turn signals and wipers work but sometimes the turnsignals make the buzzing noise. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a problem I saw a guy in the shop fix on a E-series van. I believe it turned out to be the Multifunction switch. We had a headlight switch for the van, and we hooked up a new one and it still acted funny and buzzed. Your best bet is that multifunction switch. Give her a try.

-Drew

yes its the Multifunction switch. i had the exact same problem in my x about 2 years ago,

thanks for the input. Going to buy the multifunction for it this week and wanted some confirmation

i just replaced my headlight switch because my truck had the same symptoms, the new switch was a lot tighter, not as much play in then knob- so i haven't had any probs yet... if something comes up and they stop working again i'll post for sure.... good luck.

Thanks Nick it seems the 91-94's have the issue with the light switch knob while the 95-01 have the issue with the multifunction switch....any 95+ agree with that?

I can attest to the MF switch prob on my '96 - haven't fixed it yet - just waiting for that time when i'm on the old country road late at night and the lights no longer work at all ;)

BuffaloXplorer said:
I can attest to the MF switch prob on my '96 - haven't fixed it yet - just waiting for that time when i'm on the old country road late at night and the lights no longer work at all ;)

DOH!!! The MF'ing switch stopped working for good this afternoon - there goes $60 down the drain! Just goes to show - DON'T TEMPT FATE!!!

Just a side note...I have had this problem on my 96 before and fixed it by repairing a loose wire in a little electronic box buried in the center console. The low was out on one side but the high was fine. Not the bulb. Same problem again today. Just posted asking if anyone recalled having the instructions to fix again.

Casey

Okay, that was the ticket...my headlight problem is fixed! The low beam passenger AND both the fogs were not working. Was not the bulb nor the fuse. I pulled off the two center console pieces and located the "lamp out module" on the passenger side of the console. Two small screws and unplug and it was out. Clearly marked that it is the lamp out module. Opened up the little black box and the circuit board comes right out. On the back side of the board, where the connnections are made, I could clearly see with my old tired eyes that one of the connections was not like the others...that it was slightly burnt or broken. I used for the first time the Coleman coldheat soldering tool...what a sweet invention this is...and I was able to resolder the joint in less than a couple seconds. Plugged it back in and all was working just fine!

So, if I can do it...anyone can!

Hope that my experiance can help others...

Casey

Back