• Register Today It's free!

No heat after coolant flush

02_AK_EB

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer
car: 2002 Explorer 4.0 4x4 After I did a coolant flush and got the car running without overheating I have to heat. All I did was replace a coolant line that was leaking. Im at a loss. Do I have to drive it more to get it to start heating? It was cooking me out of the car when I parked it. Then I drained the coolant installed a new hose and coolant in and now windows fog up and i only get cold air.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You most likely have air trapped in the system, will affect heating

car: 2002 Explorer 4.0 4x4 After I did a coolant flush and got the car running without overheating I have to heat. All I did was replace a coolant line that was leaking. Im at a loss. Do I have to drive it more to get it to start heating? It was cooking me out of the car when I parked it. Then I drained the coolant installed a new hose and coolant in and now windows fog up and i only get cold air.

I am not sure I follow your thoughts above.

Are you saying that before your repair that the engine was overheating, or that the car interior was getting too hot? Was it cooking you out of the car before or after the repair or both? Was the fog and cool air before/after or both. How badly was the line leaking?

If the leak was small and the cooling system was kep filled, your leak has nothing to do with the symptoms described. You may be fixing the wrong problem.

Was the total repair a leaking line (hose or hard pipe?), and was it the return or supply side, and did it have a heater control vavle in the line you replaced?
Was the coolant flush done the same time as the coolant line repair?

Your temp. gauge should tell you when the engine is warm enough to supply heat to the heater system, so if your temp. needle is off the bottom peg by a tiniest amount you should start to have heat available.

You mentioned fogged windows, is this a new or previoulsy existing problem? Fogged windows can be a sign of a coolant leak inside the cab, but this would usually accompany having heat, a coolant smell in the cab, wet carpet under the weater box, and loss of coolant.

You most likely have air trapped in the system, will affect heating

X2

That would be my first guess.

Check to see if you have a bleed off valve
(probably not, all the new vehicles probably bleed out air eventually over time, but it's worth a look)

You may just have to wait until the air gets out of the system.
You may just have a bunch of air trapped in the heater-core since you said that you replaced one of the heater core hoses? If i read that right?

Give it a few days man.

Elevate the front of the truck (drive it up on wheel racks, etc.) - Take off radiator cap, start truck, turn on high heat (to circulate through heater core), keep an eye on the radiator flow through the radiator cap hole, run truck until it gets good and warm and by then you should have gotten rid of any air. Shut off truck, top off coolant and you should be good to go.

Back