No heating....done my research....help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No heating....done my research....help!

mclarenf1kid

Reaction score
City, State
Spartanburg, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
So before I get started, here's the status:

-new thermostat
-new water pump
-fresh coolant
-system flushed
-no clogs
-heater core flushed, no leaks

Explorer runs like a DREAM! Temp gauge gets to half point, and runs at a perfect temp.

After the new coolant, burped the system, and with the rad cap off, you can see consistent flow. Water pump is going strong, and coolant temp is good.

Now, hose coming from thermostat housing that goes to heater core had coolant in it once I pulled the hose. Once the temp goes up, water pump kicks in, hose connected to thermostat housing going to heater core is hot, but is cool once you get towards the heater core. Which means the coolant isnt flowing to the heater core.

Why is this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not sure if 92's came with a heater core de-verter valves.located right at the connection point that the heater core lines run through the firewall to the core . the valve is vac' operated and if the vac line is off it may be sending coolant back ....replaced mine last year lucky for me it died in the driveway instead of on the road.

idk ...your saying that the line only gets hot till a certain point on / in the hose that leads to the core ?? and that line is totally clear from cloggs ...is that right ?

maybe if yours does have the valve and if it is shut and not letting coolant back maybe the heater core it's self was not burpered from any air in and the pressure of the coolant trying to goto the core is getting stopped half way in the line .......here's what the valve looks like ( sorry the only pic i got and it's boke off two of it's ports ....)

DSCN1086.jpg

You are correct about the line. Pretty much, you can feel the hot coolant at the bottom of the hose, coming out of the thermostat housing. But half way up the line, its cool, meaning the coolant isnt flowing.

Taking my heater core out yesterday consisted of disconnecting the two hoses going through the firewall, and dropping the heater core down and out from under the dash.

I didn't see any sort of valve there. But I'll look around since this truck is still new to me.

Just need this coolant to flow!

Ok looked up pictures of different Explorer engine setups, and I definitely don't have that valve.

idk.... could be (maybe) that when you burpped the air out of the system the truck was at just the right angle to keep some air trapped in the core somehow . try this ( can't hurt or cost any money ) take the truck and park the nose up on a grade / hill so that the front end is well above level and the engine is cool so you don't get burned and take the rad cap off and see if you level went down any from before or try to add more coolant and see if it takes it .on mine i have done this to try to burp the system and also the upper rad hose was squeezed to ( that makes the system get air out to) .

if all that fails .... i would look to take off that hose and get a metal clothes hanger and see if there is indeed some kind of blockage in the line .

btw : stats .....they have been known to fail new out of the box as well .....had a new one that i ran for maybe 6 months then had problems with the hose not getting up to pressure and then found out after takeing the stat out that the needle that hold the valve in place jumpped it's guide and was sitting in the stat houseing crooked ! ....it can happen so i would also check that to .

Back