No more "tin can" sound ??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No more "tin can" sound ???

grrtrainman

Reaction score
City, State
Western Mass, (summer), & SW Florida, (winter).
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 Limited 4WD 302A Tow
I just returned from our local SW Florida Ford dealership where I just had to perform the dreaded tip-of-finger “ping tapping test” on the roof area right over the windshield of a 2012 Explorer base model that just came off the transporter. Would I find that cheap “tin can” sound many have complained about on the new Ex in a hard rain ??? Guess what: NO MORE “ping” - just a muffled tap!!! No comparison to what I heard several months ago when I performed the same test on an earlier model. I hope this was not a fluke but is indicative of a true fix. If it is a running fix, WAY TO GO FORD !
:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting, and I hope it wasn't a fluke. When I went around tapping the 2012's when they first came out, it was just as bad as all of the 2011's. The times we have been on the lot recently, I have forgotten to do the 'tap-test'. I'll have to remember to tap a few Ex's in the near future...

I have a 2012 Limited I just got a couple days ago. I'll report on rain noise as soon as it rains. :)

I recently heard the rain noise in mine. Is there any relationship to the dble moon roof and lack of insulation because of the moon roof?

I just returned from our local SW Florida Ford dealership where I just had to perform the dreaded tip-of-finger “ping tapping test” on the roof area right over the windshield of a 2012 Explorer base model that just came off the transporter. Would I find that cheap “tin can” sound many have complained about on the new Ex in a hard rain ??? Guess what: NO MORE “ping” - just a muffled tap!!! No comparison to what I heard several months ago when I performed the same test on an earlier model. I hope this was not a fluke but is indicative of a true fix. If it is a running fix, WAY TO GO FORD !

Rumors say that this has been fixed by injecting the roof cavity space with insulating foam. I believe this is the permanent fix for 12+ Ex's.

I have dual moonroof 11 and rarely experience the heavy rain noise. With the glass in place there, obviously the roof cavity is much smaller.

No excessive rain noise on my 2012. Btw it has the dual moonroofs.

Havent noticed it, but then again is been flapping or buzzing witht he A-Pillar issues...

I have an 11 with dual moon roof. Never experienced the tin drum. Funny I guess.

...Guess what: NO MORE “ping” - just a muffled tap!!! No comparison to what I heard several months ago when I performed the same test on an earlier model. I hope this was not a fluke but is indicative of a true fix. If it is a running fix, WAY TO GO FORD !
...I have dual moonroof 11 and rarely experience the heavy rain noise. With the glass in place there, obviously the roof cavity is much smaller.
No excessive rain noise on my 2012. Btw it has the dual moonroofs.
I have an 11 with dual moon roof. Never experienced the tin drum...
Hey everybody,

I’m glad to see that you’re enjoying your quiet rides. :)

I recently heard the rain noise in mine. Is there any relationship to the dble moon roof and lack of insulation because of the moon roof?
sgparnes,

Drop me a line via PM and I’ll be happy to arrange a call from the Customer Service Manager in your region. Please be sure to include your VIN, contact information, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

Havent noticed it, but then again is been flapping or buzzing witht he A-Pillar issues...
Spengracin,

I confirmed you have a call from Tammy scheduled later this week; shoot a PM if you’d like a follow-up sooner.

Cory

2012 and no noise to report and we've had some rain.

Cory, has this been fixed for 2012 and going forward? Yes or no? You must know by now. We need definitive answers from you sometimes, not more PM's. Thanks.

Cory, has this been fixed for 2012 and going forward? Yes or no? You must know by now. We need definitive answers from you sometimes, not more PM's. Thanks.
Bill,

Yes, this has been fixed and will be for the Explorers going forward.

Cory

Bill,

Yes, this has been fixed and will be for the Explorers going forward.

Cory

My 2012 with moon roof built in September 2011 has the steel drum/rain noise. And guess what? At 6600 miles it has just started to exhibit the A-pillar buzz on the passenger side at 70+ mph in windy conditions (ie strong cross winds).

Will there be a TSB for the rain noise? Actually I don't care that much about it since it is so infrequent. But the A-pillar buzz if it keeps up is going to start to get on my nerves. Like others, I can't spend my time trying to convince the dealer it is happening, the conditions need to be just right for it to happen. I just want to take it in and have them fix it.

Cory what about us with the 2011 explorer's that have ricky ricardo playing his drums on my explorer ?

Just had a fix done on A pillars. Seems much better than previous tries. Fingers crossed. According to the body shop this is a new fix. I looked at it when they were done. No movement to the trim piece as before. Gasket looked way beefier. Much more solid.

Excellent! T H A N K S .:)
You’re very welcome, Bill. :D

....At 6600 miles it has just started to exhibit the A-pillar buzz on the passenger side at 70+ mph in windy conditions (ie strong cross winds).
tucker_bmd,

I have your VIN from previous messages, so shoot a PM if you’d like my help.

Will there be a TSB for the rain noise?...
Cory what about us with the 2011 explorer's that have ricky ricardo playing his drums on my explorer ?
Ricky Ricardo? “You got some 'splainin to do!” ;)

Seriously though, they’re working on approval for the official release right now. :)

Just had a fix done on A pillars. Seems much better than previous tries. Fingers crossed. According to the body shop this is a new fix. I looked at it when they were done. No movement to the trim piece as before. Gasket looked way beefier. Much more solid.
Thanks for keeping us in the loop, chimoman!

Cory

Thanks for the update, Cory.

BTW - I haven't forgotten the "Cory is doing a great job!" letter I said I would write for you. <Hint Hint to the rest of you>

-Randy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the update, Cory.

BTW - I haven't forgotten the "Cory is doing a great job!" letter I said I would write for you. <Hint Hint to the rest of you>

-Randy
You got it, Randy! Thanks for dropping that “subtle” hint. :party:

Cory

Back