• Register Today It's free!

No Movement After Using 4WD Low

RDLearned

Reaction score
City, State
Southaven, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 4WD
I have a 1998 Explorer XLT 4 door with 4.0 SOHC and an automatic transmission. It has approximately 135,000 miles. The transmission was rebuilt at 120,000 miles. It has seen almost no off road use (probably less than 5 miles total). It probably hasn't been shifted into 4WD Low more than 10 or 12 times since new.

I have a problem that has happened on 3 different occasions. My Explorer works fine in 2WD and 4WD High. It also will shift into 4WD Low fine. The problem is when I try to shift back to either 2WD or 4WD High. The Explorer acts like it is in neutral. There is no forward or reverse movement and the engine will race. When this happens I cannot shift back to 4WD Low either. All the dash lights work and indicate that everything is acting fine when it in reality is not. I crawled under the Explorer and tapped on the shift motor with no luck. I listened and did hear a ticking sound while under like it was trying to shift into High.

After trying to engage the transfer case anywhere from a couple of minutes to much longer it will make a loud clunk sound and I will be in High and it works fine until the next time I need 4WD low. Then it all starts over again.

Since it will shift from High to Low the shift motor is at least partially working. My question is do you think there is a problem with the shift motor and it is not returning all the way to High or do you think I have an internal hard part problem in the transfer case. I have changed the fluid in the transfer case and it seemed fine. The color was good and there were no signs of metal particles or shavings.

Thanks for reading and for any and all responses.

RDLearned

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since it works sometimes and not others, I would suspect a wiring or some other electrical issue.

I would suggest to get a manual shift transfer case, but sounds like you don't use it enough to really justify all of that.

Since it works sometimes and not others, I would suspect a wiring or some other electrical issue.

I would suggest to get a manual shift transfer case, but sounds like you don't use it enough to really justify all of that.

Thanks. I have checked the connections. However, that doesn't mean I don't have a wiring problem somewhere else. I am almost tempted to put a shift motor on it but I hate just throwing parts at a problem. I initially thought my problem was lack of use and something was stiff from lack of lube. But I don't believe that anymore.

RDLearned

Thanks. I had seen that thread during my search of this site to see if I could find an answer to my problem. I will probably take the motor off this winter and do some checking. It could be that bushing in the motor that they seem to be talking about that's causing my problem.

I won't need 4WD Low until late next spring or early next summer. I have to back a trailer into a tight spot to move my daughter home from college. I last had this problem at the end of July when I moved her into her apartment. I didn't think we would get home. I tried to change from 4WD Low back to 2WD in the middle of a street and was stuck there for 10 to 15 minutes until it finally went "clunk" and I was back going.

RDLearned

Back