No power, rough idle, odd throttle response -FIXED- | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No power, rough idle, odd throttle response -FIXED-

arco777

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer 2dr 4x4
Gotta leave town tomorrow morning - X has to be running somehow! Otherwise bad things happen...

Starts and runs but idle is rough. No power at all, until you get to 75% throttle it just sputters along and barely moves. After 75% it jumps up and goes but won't shift at the right points or run at lower throttle. Before today I got CEL codes saying HEGO system indicates both lean and rich on left and right banks. Right now it isn't showing CEL but I don't think I am driving it far enough; earlier today it threw a CEL multiple times but didn't store any codes.

Leading up to this: For the last year it has sometimes idled rough for 10-20 seconds on a cold startup but rarely and it goes away shortly. This past week I put 3000 miles on in 4 days and it started off okay but started throwing occasional codes and lacked torque sometimes, hesitated sometimes too.

Replaced:
Both 02 sensors
Spark Plugs
Plug wires
Entire EGR valve assembly
MAF sensor
Fuel filter (before problem came up)

Checked:
Fuel
TPS
Vacuum leaks (with carb cleaner)

Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated.

Fixed - I had replaced the MAF with one off another Explorer before I did anything else and it didn't help, so that threw me off.

Disconnecting the MAF helped, suddenly there was power again and a smooth idle. Reconnected it and same problems.

Installed a new MAF from the auto parts store and problem solved. Don't trust old MAFs I guess.

Back