No power to HVAC, some backlights and ECU(?) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No power to HVAC, some backlights and ECU(?)

euronymous

Reaction score
City, State
Cracow
Year, Model & Trim Level
Exp 2001 4.0 Lim EB
Hi,

Already tried to find smth on forum and google... but can't find my case... :(

The engine/car is running and I can drive as usual...
But there is no power to HVAC (not only blower, but whole module).
BUT... some backlights on HVAC are working (few bulbs was already fried - backlight is working as before).
Rear blowers are dead also.
I wasn't be se urgent... but I'm freeeezing :eek: :D

Computer below HVAC (with economy, reset, self-test, etc.) is also down.
I've checked some black&red cables on plug behind and there was ~5V.

I've also noticed that my headlights switch have no backlight... (maybe not related; didn't noticed earlier)

I'm pretty sure that it all happened at once... (maybe except this HL switch backlight)
Ofcourse I've checked few related fuses, but nothing special there... I haven't checked relayes (only pulled them out to... "take a look" at pins, etc. :) )

What do you think about it? :( Or maybe I've skipped some fuse? :confused: I hope that computer isn't fried... :dead:

Sorry for my... english :)

Hopefully someone familiar with the 2001 model will jump in, but in the meantime, for what it's worth, my experience with the 1998:
The EATC (which you called HVAC computer) and the Message Center (which you called 'computer below HVAC) share the same power, supplied from fuse #36 (in the box under the dash), so that's where you should start. The bulb that illuminates the headlights switch is unrelated to the other problem, and just likes to burn out. It's of an unusual size, for which it may be very difficult to find a replacement -- I just replaced the complete switch when that happened.
As stated, no guarantee that all this applies to your 2001 model. Good luck!

Hopefully someone familiar with the 2001 model will jump in, but in the meantime, for what it's worth, my experience with the 1998:
The EATC (which you called HVAC computer) and the Message Center (which you called 'computer below HVAC) share the same power, supplied from fuse #36 (in the box under the dash), so that's where you should start. The bulb that illuminates the headlights switch is unrelated to the other problem, and just likes to burn out. It's of an unusual size, for which it may be very difficult to find a replacement -- I just replaced the complete switch when that happened.
As stated, no guarantee that all this applies to your 2001 model. Good luck!

Ohhh! Thank you! :D :bow:
After I've read "share the same power, supplied from fuse #36" I was almost sure that it'll be it :) And it was! :D
Previous owner gave me also a Polish version of the manual (copyrighted 2000 but I've never wondered if it suites my vehicle :D )...
And this book says that #36 fuse is for... Left rear lamp, position lights and trailer socket... :rant:o_O
It was slightly easier for me to use PL book, but it's not worth it. Especially if I don't have any problems with understanding ENG.

Thank you once again :) :chug: :wave:

Back