• Register Today It's free!

4R44E no reverse

emptyshell

Reaction score
City, State
Belle Chasse, La
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 ranger
Have no reverse, acts like neutral when put in reverse. All forward gears work. Took pan off and have very little metal on magnet but found a piece of a gear or something in pan. Do they have gears or something that could have broken and can be replaced? 97 ranger

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine does the same thing 9 w/ no reverse)...I am currently researching the issue here to. On the home page if you scroll down and click "Transmissions, Transfer Cases" there are a bunch of "Stickys" that have all sorts of info. I would start reading up on the 5r55e/4r44e Valve Body stuff. It is either the something with pressure (Valve Body / Servo) or a hard failure ( Bands or transmission internals)

Do you have a pic of the piece you found? There are some great transmission people here that might be able to identify it for you.

pics

Mine does the same thing 9 w/ no reverse)...I am currently researching the issue here to. On the home page if you scroll down and click "Transmissions, Transfer Cases" there are a bunch of "Stickys" that have all sorts of info. I would start reading up on the 5r55e/4r44e Valve Body stuff. It is either the something with pressure (Valve Body / Servo) or a hard failure ( Bands or transmission internals)

Do you have a pic of the piece you found? There are some great transmission people here that might be able to identify it for you.

I can get a pic. Can I post it on here?

yes you can post it. you have to have a PHOTOBUCKET account or some other media sharing account (all free).

upload the pics on photobucket then COPY the image link

PASTE it in your reply and hopefully someone here will be able to identify the piece.

{{{{when you reply to this post again there is a little icon with a mountain and a yellow background, click it and paste the image link in it and it will appear as pic once you submit you response}}}}}}}

Hope this helps!

Thanks

yes you can post it. you have to have a PHOTOBUCKET account or some other media sharing account (all free).

upload the pics on photobucket then COPY the image link

PASTE it in your reply and hopefully someone here will be able to identify the piece.

{{{{when you reply to this post again there is a little icon with a mountain and a yellow background, click it and paste the image link in it and it will appear as pic once you submit you response}}}}}}}

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the help.

broken piece in pan

Thanks for the help.

I think I found what the broken piece I found in the pan is from. Looks like it broke off of the reverse split hd transmission band. Could this cause the reverse not to work?

probably... but I would still post up a pic. When you lost REV did it make a Snap, Clunk, or loud POP sound? If yes than it is probably the band that is gone out.

don't know

probably... but I would still post up a pic. When you lost REV did it make a Snap, Clunk, or loud POP sound? If yes than it is probably the band that is gone out.

I can't figure out how to post pics. Don't know about the noise, I bought the truck the ways it is.

OK guys, got the trans apart and reverse band is broken. I can't seem to get the reverse gears out, should I just put the new reverse band in and call it a day? Could the band be the problem of no reverse? Any ideas how it could have broken? I talked to original owner of truck and he said it made no noise. He used reverse and worked good and a few minutes later (after driving forward) I tried reverse and nothing.

Back