No Reverse Forward gears all work perfect | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Reverse Forward gears all work perfect

rogro

Reaction score
City, State
Buford
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
I bought a used 2005 Explorer from the local Government Auction, knowing that the reverse was out. It drove fine in forward gears, and had a very weak reverse gear. Would barely move, but it did ok in 4X4 low. I pulled the transmission pan and replaced the solenoid pack with a rebuilt one and it threw all kinds of OBD codes, and would not engage forward or reverse, no movement at all. So I'm assuming the pack is bad and sending back to get a refund. I replaced the old solenoid pack and am limping along now. When I pulled the pan, it looked like a new transmission, no residue in the pan, no clutch pieces-parts, no metal shavings, etc. I did install a new filter also and filled with Ford Mercron V.
Im going to NAPA and get a rebuilt solenoid pack and bite the $$$$bullet, but at least I can trust it. Is there anything else that would cause only reverse to be non-functional?? What other things can I try while Im inside the trans????

Thanks Ron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its not going to be a solenoid problem so save your money, with the pan off the only thing you can really do is to remove the reverse servo and check it and the band up inside the transmission. Since it barely moves in reverse the band is probably not broken but it might be brunt or the lining has come off which is a common failure. Chances are this transmission will have to come out and be rebuilt to fix the reverse problem.

Its not going to be a solenoid problem so save your money, with the pan off the only thing you can really do is to remove the reverse servo and check it and the band up inside the transmission. Since it barely moves in reverse the band is probably not broken but it might be brunt or the lining has come off which is a common failure. Chances are this transmission will have to come out and be rebuilt to fix the reverse problem.
Ah, James, give me some good news on this one. I can get rebuilt trans in the $1200 range here in the Buford area. But, is it possible that the reverse servo is bad?? I need to research how to pull it and check it out. thanks for the advice.

The reverse servo could be bad but I must admit I have never seen one fail, its always been the band...

With the pan off and the filter out of the way the reverse servo is held on with four 8mm gold bolts, just remove the bolts and the servo will drop down. To take the servo apart just twist the top to unlock it but be careful because there is a big spring in there and it will spring apart. Once the top is off you can get the servo piston out to inspect it.

The reverse servo could be bad but I must admit I have never seen one fail, its always been the band...

With the pan off and the filter out of the way the reverse servo is held on with four 8mm gold bolts, just remove the bolts and the servo will drop down. To take the servo apart just twist the top to unlock it but be careful because there is a big spring in there and it will spring apart. Once the top is off you can get the servo piston out to inspect it.
What would I be looking for? Wear and tear or a hole in something? thanks

Back