No signatures and no deposit - sound fishy? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No signatures and no deposit - sound fishy?

meslphx

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited AWD
After researching for months, and negotiating for weeks online with dealers, I finally put an order in (I hope) "my" 2011 Explorer! I am absolutely in LOVE with this car. And, I am more than happy to wait as long as it takes to get it. But, here is what's been gnawing at me... Should I be worried that the dealer did not sign (and did not have me sign) the order form (even though there is a place for both signatures - AND - did not required ANY deposit (even though I offered to give him one)!? The deal they offered me seemed "too good to be true" (and you know the saying...) Any cause for concern here? Like, they just want the "special order" to get it there and then sell it much higher to someone off the lot? Or, they have a bad "allocation" situation, and aren't sure they'll ever be able to get it, so not bothering with signing or a deposit?? The deal I got here sort of came out of left field and was $800 less than I was able to negotiate (for weeks) between 2 other dealers. I just feel like I am missing something, but hope I am just being a worry wort.

This is my first day in the forum - thanks for any insights!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most of the legal issues related to this vary from state to state (and province to province). Do you have a copy of the deal?

Signatures are a must for any deal, in my opinion. Deposit - not required.

Dealer probably figures if you don't take delivery, they will still be able to sell it easily.

I have the same deal but my dealer has been in contact and everything seems fine. He did tell me if I get to the dealership and don't like the explorer, no problem he can find another buyer.

My dealer didn't require any signature or a deposit. They too told me when it came in if I didn't want it they would sell it.

I had just bought a 2011 F-150 Platinum from them about a month or so before I ordered.

My dealer told me the other day a retail sold order has nothing to do with allocation, but they can sometimes use an allocation to speed up the process of a retail order.

He told me Ford does whatever they do to decide who gets cars, he hasn't figured it out, and he has been doing it for 18 years. Not sure I believe them unless a Ford Employee can chime in and say exactly what happens. I don't know who to believe anymore.

Not necessarily fishy. I didn't give a deposit. I did initial the DORA, but not a contract. Granted, I purchased on X-plan, so no price negotiation was involved, but they kept their word on the value of my trade-in without anything in writing. I suppose it all depends on the dealership.

I hope it works out for you.

If you "negotiated for weeks online with dealers" then yes you should have the deal in writing!

By the time your car comes in it could be a couple of things that complicate the deal.

The sales person could no longer work there.
There could be a disagreement to what was actually said 8+ weeks ago.

No need for a deposit but I would want the numbers in writing and a copy of the order showing the vehicle was ordered just like you want. This is just good business and should not insult anybody.

I have a copy of my order showing it in my name and that the right vehicle/options were selected but I did not have to give a deposit.

I did my oreder over the phone and didn't put down a deposit. In fact, I have never been to this dealership in person. I did get a copy of the order from the fleet manager, which has my name and correct options listing.

I put down a $500 but the dealership said they weren't going to cash the check - so it's more of a intent to buy than down payment on the vehicle.

I did not sign anything nor did I make a deposit and I received my vehicle without any problems from the dealer. It's probably not the most ideal situation, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

A good dealer wants to build a relationship with you... not screw you over.

Same as what jedimike said. I did not sign anything or give them a deposit. They said if I were to back out they would have no trouble selling what I ordered.

What about the incentives that Ford had in place a couple of months ago? My dealer also did not give me anything in writing, did not require a deposit (after 12 vehicles, I guess I earned that)... and I do not have a guarantee that it was ordered tied to my name.

Will I have issues still getting the incentives as it was ordered 2/17 and still hasn't been delivered? :mad:

Thank you so much everyone for these great insights! This is about the most helpful forum I have ever seen. I feel so much better knowing I wasn't the only one and that the Ex still came in fine!!

And, thanks BrooklynBay for getting my post over to where people would see it!

Also a big thanks to Seni, who confirmed I actually have a VIN - way more than I expected!!!

Annexplorer - The way I understand it is that you do get the incentives for whenver your Ex comes in (as opposed to when you ordered, unless your dealer guarantees otherwise). But, I had been watching the incentives for (literally) months and months, trying to figure out the best time to buy. Until I finally realized I would need to order, and would get whatever incentives were available at the time. But, if my crystal ball is right, the current incentives end beginning of May (just days from now), and I bet they'll be as good (maybe even better) than when you placed your order in a few days from now...

Back