NO start? I know what it's not (SOLVED) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NO start? I know what it's not (SOLVED)

tweakedlogic

Reaction score
City, State
memphis, tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Click, click.... goes the relay on the fender when I turn the key.

It's not the engine ground, I upgraded it and tested it today with jumper cables to the battery.

It's not a fuse, I tested every one with a multi meter.

It's not the starter, that's what i thought it was and bought a new one.

It's not the battery, fairly new and fully charged, and a jump box had the same result.

It's not the relay on the fender, it's defiantly working as it should.

I think it's the small wire going to the starter mounted solenoid. I had removed my new starter and using jumper cables connected to the cable post and body for ground. I jumpered the positive to the small connector and the starter spun freely. With the starter installed, I get 9.7v on the small wire when I turn the key to start.

I thought the small wire went to the fender mounted relay, but I guess i'm wrong as my testing suggests that wire (on the relay) gets 12v not gives 12v. I don't know where the other end of the small starter wire terminates, or how to test it.

Can any one help please?

Further testing...

After my wife got home I had her turn the key so I could watch the starter. the starter gear does push forward, but does not spin. I hooked the positive jumper cable to the big wire lead and had her do it again and it spins. My big cable appears to be in good condition and i get 12v at the starter. What gives? Does this mean that my relay is bad, or the wire? I'm stumped now.

I decided to just replace all the wires from the battery to the starter and relay. It seems the wire from the batt to the relay had corrosion in the jacket that i couldn't see when I pulled it from the batt terminal. I had been thinking about upgrading some of those anyway since I plan on a new sound system soon. I replaced the alternator wire, and the wire from the batt to the relay with 2 gauge. I think they were a thin 8 gauge, like 9 or something. All new gold plated connectors (except at the starter it's self). All seems good now.

Sorry I wasted a post when all I had to do was keep fiddling with it to figure it out. maybe this will help someone else.

...Sorry I wasted a post when all I had to do was keep fiddling with it to figure it out. maybe this will help someone else.
This is not a wasted post as it is a great example of the things we have to deal with on 20 year old vehicles.
I have seen this same problem where everything looks fine, but the corrosion was in the battery post/connector.
I usually upgrade battery wiring by a couple of sizes when I do replace any.
Also, if you use marine wiring the conductor is tinned so it would be a lot less likely to corrode inside the jacket.

Back