No start situation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No start situation

J$hort

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Sport, 2008 XLT V8
Hey all, got a call from daughter at college with a no start situation on the 2008 Explorer. It us the V8 XLT

Not too far away so I swung by. Not getting any codes. Engine cranks and runs as I spray starting fluid. Seems like a fuel issue but noticed butterfly stays closed in throttle body and it may be me but gas pedal seems very easy to depress. Looking for ideas to diagnose. Maybe process of testing Throttle body, fuel pump, etc.

Getting it towed home and will spend some time with it. Any ideas much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey all, got a call from daughter at college with a no start situation on the 2008 Explorer. It us the V8 XLT

Not too far away so I swung by. Not getting any codes. Engine cranks and runs as I spray starting fluid. Seems like a fuel issue but noticed butterfly stays closed in throttle body and it may be me but gas pedal seems very easy to depress. Looking for ideas to diagnose. Maybe process of testing Throttle body, fuel pump, etc.

Getting it towed home and will spend some time with it. Any ideas much appreciated.
Adding more info as I await AAA tow.

Unplugged throttle motor and cranked it over. Engine ran fine while unplugged and rough when I plugged it back in. Very little throttle response if any and was racing enough I could get it to drive. Was able to drive to another part of large parking lot to make it easier for flatbed access.
Turned off and tried to start again, but would not start.

Looks like I am solo on this post, so I will update for any lurkers. Tried to detach the throttle motor connector and attempted to start again, but it would not. I'm guessing the fact that it started and ran once was a coincidence. AAA guys showed up and wanted to check no start situation. Recommended that a bump on the fuel tank while trying to start it. This worked like a charm, so all points to the fuel pump as the issue.

So the good news is that the issue has likely been found, the bad news is that there is quite a bit of work to replace the pump. Plenty of discussion elsewhere on this forum on how to drop tank or cut an access hole, so I will leave it to that.

There is almost zero way for totally lack of DTC's during no crank situation,what diagnostic program and adapter do you use?

The throttle motor harness good for sure?

There is almost zero way for totally lack of DTC's during no crank situation,what diagnostic program and adapter do you use?

The throttle motor harness good for sure?
Torque app and generic Bluetooth dongle. Usually reports, but I am using an older backup phone. I have Forscan and ELM usb dongle but have not tested with that setup. Pretty sure tank bang test tells the tale.

You dont have to beat the tank lol

Just check the fuel rail pressure chart

No schrader on the fuel rail for 2008. And I do not have a gauge.

Needed to get in garage this morning. Went out to start this morning and cranked and would not start. Banged on the tank again a few times and cranked again, started right up. Drove in driveway and throttle was responding as normal. Ran for a bit with no issues. Pulled in garage, turned off and tried to restart. No go.

With 212K miles and needed as college car for daughter, decided to drop tank. It has original pump. Took about 1.5 hours. Really not that hard. Tank had 1/8 of gas, and I drained out via filler fitting on tank. It has flapper that is easily opened by sticking screwdriver in it to allow gas out. New pump scheduled to be delivered today and will install on tank this afternoon. Will probably change fuel filter while I am under there and have it apart.

You dont need a gauge.

Fuel pressure chart means Forscan fuel pressure chart data or PID read.

Also could be bad pump/sender/EVAP sensor connector.once you have the tank out of the car check the harness as well.
20210721_170512.jpg

You dont need a gauge.

Fuel pressure chart means Forscan fuel pressure chart data or PID read.

Also could be bad pump/sender/EVAP sensor connector.once you have the tank out of the car check the harness as well.View attachment 425573
Ok, sorry misunderstood. I do not have Forscan up and running, but probably should as I have 4 Fords!

Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to check all electrical connections.

Back