• Register Today It's free!

No start when hot rough idle too

trueparris777

Reaction score
City, State
largo
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 1997 ford explorer xlt. The idle is rough and codes for spark plugs and wires. Has a crank no start after running a bit. When driving, it shudders like bad gas. Put carbonater/intake/fuel injector cleaner from advance in gas tank. It needed an oil change so I did that too. What could be causing it to run rougher when the gas petal is pushed to accelerate then causing it to shut off with a crank no start when hot but will start when cooled down but I have to press the gas a little to start it. The fuel pump does him when you turn the key.

Wait...let's clarify a couple things. Your vehicle will NOT throw engine codes that can automatically be determined to be attributable to bad plugs and wires. It WILL throw codes for misfires...but, that may or may not be due to bad plugs/wires. With that said, are you saying you replaced them and the problem still persists? Have you confirmed fuel pressure at the rail? What about changing the fuel filter? Refusal to start when hot can be an indication that your Coolant Temp Switch (the one that talks to your PCM on your t-stat housing) is bad. That usually throws it's own code, however. Rough idle could be a vaccum leak (SOHC engines are notorious for intake manifold gasket leaks) or bad IAC valve. Need more info on previous maintenance history, mileage, etc to help narrow it down.

Wait...let's clarify a couple things. Your vehicle will NOT throw engine codes that can automatically be determined to be attributable to bad plugs and wires. It WILL throw codes for misfires...but, that may or may not be due to bad plugs/wires. With that said, are you saying you replaced them and the problem still persists? Have you confirmed fuel pressure at the rail? What about changing the fuel filter? Refusal to start when hot can be an indication that your Coolant Temp Switch (the one that talks to your PCM on your t-stat housing) is bad. That usually throws it's own code, however. Rough idle could be a vaccum leak (SOHC engines are notorious for intake manifold gasket leaks) or bad IAC valve. Need more info on previous maintenance history, mileage, etc to help narrow it down.
These are the codes that it gave me. P0171 p0174 p044
These are the codes....p0171 p0174 p0455 p1132 p1152. It's my daughter's. I did see she lost gas cap so I replaced it with new one. I used the carburetor spray to check for leaks on engine hoses and air hoses but did not know about the evap under the battery so I am going to check that in the morning. I have not replace plugs and wires yet because they are only a year and half old and they were the more expensive ones. I don't think it is that but I could be wrong. I will also check into what you said with the iac tomorrow. I will update then. Thank you.

Back