Noise From Rear Door Panels ST (cracking/popping) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noise From Rear Door Panels ST (cracking/popping)

rednax321

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Build Date 10/19
Purchased 11/19

I’m experiencing a loud popping/cracking noise from the rear driver side door. The noise is observed when traveling over uneven pavement. It sounds as if adhesive is separating and reconnecting. I took the vehicle to a local Ford Service center. Technician there acknowledged the problem and took the panel apart. He said that he didn’t see anything wrong and that similar models also made the noise. If I push on the panel itself near the window, it sounds as if there is a gap where the window sun screen is. Has anybody else experienced this noise or found a way to fix it?

I took the vehicle back to the service center at the dealership where I purchased. There are about 12-15 problems that I’m having (most of which are listed in this forum) and I wanted them addressed. They kept my vehicle for 24 days and a majority of the responses were “unable to be duplicated by service tech”.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cheapness begets cheap sounds. The interior is cheap. Most parts are solely fastened by clips. The pieces are cheap plastic with no noise reducing felt tape or anything. I don't want to compare interior quality with another Ford product since this is my first. This car/truck reminds me of my old 2004 Subaru WRX. Above average performance and a utilitarian but cheap interior. Actually, as much as I loved that car, this one trumps it because the driving tech and sound system are very much appreciated.

I searched (apparently not hard enough) for a thread about this. Thanks for your help. I’ll do some research.

Wasn’t sure if anybody had a suggestion for something to shim in the door panel, without taking the entire thing apart?

Not sure if anybody else was having this problem? I started taking things apart and realized what the issue was. The foam/rubber on the door is held in place by pink plastic “trim panel retail clip” type of things. When they move, they scrape the panel and make noise. I took the foam/rubber off, cut and slid tiny orings under the gap and used gorilla tape to make the clips immobile. Drastically reduced the noise (from the door panel area). Rubber retaining clips would have also eliminated this problem. Two Ford service centers were unable to determine what the noise was and either said “unable to duplicate” or “characteristic of the vehicle”.

5ED1DB6C-DE70-4649-A465-B99A8B8FFCAE.jpeg

D3886AFD-2BAB-4911-9870-FA8A59BB2E1B.jpeg

Not sure if anybody else was having this problem? I started taking things apart and realized what the issue was. The foam/rubber on the door is held in place by pink plastic “trim panel retail clip” type of things. When they move, they scrape the panel and make noise. I took the foam/rubber off, cut and slid tiny orings under the gap and used gorilla tape to make the clips immobile. Drastically reduced the noise (from the door panel area). Rubber retaining clips would have also eliminated this problem. Two Ford service centers were unable to determine what the noise was and either said “unable to duplicate” or “characteristic of the vehicle”.

View attachment 177972

View attachment 177973
Is it easy to take off the door? My speakers rattle and I wanted to take off the door and see if a screw was loose.

Is it easy to take off the door? My speakers rattle and I wanted to take off the door and see if a screw was loose.

I didn’t take it completely apart. The rubber strip is held on by tension. I wiggled a couple clips out to see what was going on but that’s as far as I went. Taking that rubber stripping off is very easy, just requires some patience.

So I had similar sounds, but it wasn't just the rear door. I would hear it from all doors when driving in the 15 to 45 MPH range, and even louder with a quick turn, or normal braking or anything that would make the body flex. I also noticed if I pushed on any of the doors from the outside they would make a creaking/popping sound from the top. What's strange is it only started a few days ago, and I've had the car since a little before Thanksgiving. I'm in North Florida and it just started getting warm, so the weather might have something to do with it.

Anyway, I was able to fix it by applying some Teflon wax lubricant to the outermost piece of weatherstripping (above the hollow piece that you re-attached). I did this around the top and back sides of all four doors, and it solved it.

Tip: Don't be an idiot like me on the first door and directly spray the Teflon wax; that was fun getting the residue off my window and door. Even if you roll the window down (you know, basic common sense that I lacked in the moment), I would spray it onto a paper towel or rag, getting it wet enough that it will transfer.

The can says o-ring safe, so I'm hoping that means it's good for whatever rubber and plastic material I applied it to.

So I had similar sounds, but it wasn't just the rear door. I would hear it from all doors when driving in the 15 to 45 MPH range, and even louder with a quick turn, or normal braking or anything that would make the body flex. I also noticed if I pushed on any of the doors from the outside they would make a creaking/popping sound from the top. What's strange is it only started a few days ago, and I've had the car since a little before Thanksgiving. I'm in North Florida and it just started getting warm, so the weather might have something to do with it.

Anyway, I was able to fix it by applying some Teflon wax lubricant to the outermost piece of weatherstripping (above the hollow piece that you re-attached). I did this around the top and back sides of all four doors, and it solved it.

Tip: Don't be an idiot like me on the first door and directly spray the Teflon wax; that was fun getting the residue off my window and door. Even if you roll the window down (you know, basic common sense that I lacked in the moment), I would spray it onto a paper towel or rag, getting it wet enough that it will transfer.

The can says o-ring safe, so I'm hoping that means it's good for whatever rubber and plastic material I applied it to.

Any adverse effects on the door seals? I am having this issue and would like to try your fix.

TIA

Anyone else getting cracking/popping noises around the driver side dash area? It drives me crazy. Started around 1500 miles. I can't pinpoint anything specific other than there is plastic around the cluster panel that I can move if I press on it.

1. Can I ask you what you mean by the hollow piece that he reattached?
2. Did this end up working out well?

I have a "buzzy" type of rattle somewhere in the back. I notice it greatly when i'm in my town and i go over the rumble strips by a school zone near my house.

The sound is almost identical where if you're listening to a song with a lot of bass and you hear your rear license plate rattling/vibrating against your trunk. That's the buzzy rattle i hear somewhere in the back. I believe it is coming from the rear passenger door panel, something inside.

It's not that noticeable but because the interior is fairly quiet, you notice every single noise. I may try to tackle that job during the summer.

But yeah, not even a year in with this XLT and i am finding so many annoying issues.

I have a "buzzy" type of rattle somewhere in the back. I notice it greatly when i'm in my town and i go over the rumble strips by a school zone near my house.

The sound is almost identical where if you're listening to a song with a lot of bass and you hear your rear license plate rattling/vibrating against your trunk. That's the buzzy rattle i hear somewhere in the back. I believe it is coming from the rear passenger door panel, something inside.

It's not that noticeable but because the interior is fairly quiet, you notice every single noise. I may try to tackle that job during the summer.

But yeah, not even a year in with this XLT and i am finding so many annoying issues.
This is the most interesting writeup I have come across, its a comment from youtube, on the SavageGeese review of the 2020 explorer:

"Engineer on the Explorer program here. All I can say about this entire vehicle is “Look how they massacred my girl.” I expected nothing less coming into this review, but it hurts to hear nonetheless as an engineer who takes pride in his work. Your final thoughts nutshell what’s wrong with U625 perfectly, although as with any nutshell, it doesn’t give a good sense of the scale of the issue. It wasn’t just the plant, or the engineers, or the designers, or the management, or the workers. This program has suffered so many ****-ups that literally everyone involved has made a contribution to this end result. The Fields administration wasted far too much time and money switching the Explorer back to RWD for “platform synergies.”
The CD6 platform’s cost ballooned out of control and became hopelessly delayed as they tried to develop an architecture that would be able to underpin nearly 10 different cars - that failed so badly that most the vehicles whose future relied on CD6 were outright canceled or stayed on older platforms, with the Explorer and Aviator being the only two left. The platform was then re-optimized for the SUVs at the insistence of project leads, who wanted to sell it on performance and supposedly had research to back up their claims it would sell better if it handled better. It definitely does, but they were dead wrong about most consumers noticing, never mind caring, about the engine layout and primary driving wheels. Engineering was too worried about the new architecture and engines to devote adequate time to pretty much anything else. The F-150 program requires about 120-200 test mules per new generation, spanning all trims and powertrain combinations. The Explorer program built over 300, and Aviator tacked on a more reasonable but still significant number. We ended up building nearly twice the number of test mules as the 2021 F-150 program did, and because of the need to keep building testers, the PP cars were delayed, meaning that the process of engineering that new assembly line had to be compacted down to meet the deadlines. Can’t make a line to build the cars without knowing how the car is built, after all. Chicago Assembly being its typical ****hole self (engineers and management alike were practically dragged kicking and screaming into choosing Chicago) finished off any hope of this launch being anything short of disastrous. I’m still a firm believer in the Blue Oval, and, flawed as she is, I proudly stand by the Explorer, enough to order an ST for myself - it arrives later this year.
The sad truth is that this has been happening ever since Fields took the reins and focused on sucking up to Wall Street instead of running a car company. Nearly ever program started under him and inheriting his bullshit attitude if salutary neglect has stumbled. The 2020 Escape/Corsair are the only ones that haven’t, and that’s at least in part due to getting a free troubleshooting extension after Explorer pillaged a big chunk of staff to help out with fixing its own ****storm. Hackett has not done anywhere near enough to fix this, but some effort towards a better culture is better than actively destroying it. Ford will learn; the question is how long until it forgets again."

Build Date 10/19
Purchased 11/19

I’m experiencing a loud popping/cracking noise from the rear driver side door. The noise is observed when traveling over uneven pavement. It sounds as if adhesive is separating and reconnecting. I took the vehicle to a local Ford Service center. Technician there acknowledged the problem and took the panel apart. He said that he didn’t see anything wrong and that similar models also made the noise. If I push on the panel itself near the window, it sounds as if there is a gap where the window sun screen is. Has anybody else experienced this noise or found a way to fix it?

I took the vehicle back to the service center at the dealership where I purchased. There are about 12-15 problems that I’m having (most of which are listed in this forum) and I wanted them addressed. They kept my vehicle for 24 days and a majority of the responses were “unable to be duplicated by service tech”.
Was your crackling noise issue ever located and corrected? I think I know where my similar issue lies, just not sure how to correct it.

Mine has this issue. To me, it sounds like an electrical arc. My daughter confirmed it's the plastic panel doing some weird shift. I hate rattles and squeaks. Maybe I'll tackle this one when summer ends in November.

Back