Noise from water pump area | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noise from water pump area

ranzerbinz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 ford ranger
Hey guys! Was looking for some insight here. I own a 1985 Ford Ranger, 2.3L, fuel injected. I have a howling noise coming from the water pump/timing belt area. So, I replaced replaced the water pump, thinking it was the bearings. When I took it of, I notice rubbing marks on the cylinder wall. So I figured, sweet, that's the issue! So I replaced it with a new pump. While I was at it, I replaced timing belt and tensioner. Also replaced the Thermostat and housing, radiator hoses, and drive belt. Did everything to repair book specs. Tightened belts to book specs. Refilled cooling system with antifreeze. Started the engine and the stupid howle returned. It is still in that area. The antifreeze appears to be getting around the engine and heater coil, but the noise will not go away! Also tried spinning the water pump by hand. No noticeable issues, spins well and no noise from bearing. My stethoscope picks up the noise in that area when the engine is running. Not sure what else to do. Drive belt is not too tight or too loose. Could it be the coolant not getting around and causing the cylinder wall to expand up against the pump impeller? I noticed it is a very tight clearance there. Sounds stupid, but just a thought. Any insight as to the issue. I'm sure I am missing something. Thank you.

Back