Noise Reduction

flyguy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gilbert, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 XLT V8
A couple of questions here... number 1... I just got those polyurathane bushings (full set) and now when I get a bump or whatever... I get this sound... its not really a squeak.. but it could be... its almost like stoping on a wet piece of foam... like a really loud squishy sound.. heh. anyways... is there anyway to get rid of it? Is oil the answer or do I just have to live with it? Number 2! How can I reduce cabin noise? with all my mods, it results in a pretty noisy ride... is there anything I can do? I have that Noise Killer paint on foam stuff on all my doors... but thats about it. what else? Do I need to insulate under the hood itself? the firewall? the floorboards? hmmm

nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I placed dynomat extreme on my firewall, and I noticed a huge difference. I am just hoping it doesn't get too hot or something like that.

Hmm... how much it cost you?

Guess what? My explorer overheated last night (it was freezing outside) and it got hot enough to melt the dynomat. Now it smells like ass and it doesn't deaden the sound anymore. I got the dynomat for free from a friend who owed me a lot of money. I think he probably jacked it, but I don't need to know that. He said it would run for about 200 dollars. Well, I've got to find out what's wrong. I think the thermostat is stuck closed, or maybe the water pump is messed up. endless problems...

Yeah, Ive seen that before. is it really just like dynomat? I was doubting it... anyways... so how did you get all that stuff on your firewall? Seems like it would be hard to do. Any instructions? Overheat huh? Its prolly your stat. Im like on my 6th one. sigh.

nick

Well I don't know how he put it on there now that I looked at it. I'll have to ask him. It was my thermostat as I suspected. $100 for a new thermostat, $500 dollars for a new radiator, new upper and lower radiator hoses at $50 bucks each. A couple hundred for labor. And there was a hole in my exhaust that caused it to shake. So another 200 for a decent exhaust system. So with tax, the total came to $1,289.68!!! My dad was pist! Oh well, I didn't pay, he drove it for 80,000 miles, I've been driving it for 7,000. Well I'll get back to you on that dynomat thing. The kid owed me over 400 for a bunch of stereo equipment, so he installed it for me. I now live over 1,000 miles away (my dad moved our family to Seattle, the most boring city there is), so I'll be waiting for a reply through email.

Uh... how much did you pay for a new stat? hehe. those things are like 5 dollars.

nick

I got a low temp one for 22.95, they charged me 75.00 for labor which I think is a bunch of crap.

Haha... you got bent over. have you changed your own stat before? Its not the easiest of things... but it only takes a few minutes. You just need to remove the throttle body and intake hose... and then the little housing thing that has the thermostat...

nick

Back