Engine noise diagnosis with audio files | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine noise diagnosis with audio files

Masterd

Reaction score
City, State
Upland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
So Ive found that my ticking noise and vibration / knock sound at around 2500 rpm have been getting louder. For those who dont know, while im in the cabin with the windows up, I can hear an intermittent knocking noise, but outside you only hear ticking. The motor is an OHV 4.0 with 273k on it.

The first audio clip was taken from the passenger side wheel well. You can distinctly hear the ticking as I run it up and down the rev range.
http://media.putfile.com/Engine-Noise-1-71

The 2nd Audio clip is taken from underneath the motor. Sorry for the wind gust noises. Not sure you can hear it as clear from this point, but I thought I could hear some knocking.
http://media.putfile.com/Engine-Noise-2-29

Anyways, thanks for any imput. Im trying to figure out what is causing this noise to get louder. I was thinking collapsing lifter, but hopefully you guys can help me out!

-Master

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could very well be a lifter or rocker arm. one other thing I have heard it an intermitent noise from a fuel injector going bad sounds similar to a lifter/ rocker arm. (my mustang does it). find a auto stethescope or if not available take a long screw driver and place the tip on the valve cover and put the handle up to your ear. you can try to pinpoint the noise that way

Thanks for the opinion. I need to get a hold on a stethoscope.

Any more opinions?

Might be my crappy speakers, but it sounds like normal lifter noise to me. You do have a lot of miles.

I take it that the engine is up to operating temp. What is your oil pressure reading like (hot) at idle and 2500 rpm? Use a mechanical guage. What weight oil are you using? Your recordings does not sound out of character for the milage.

I don't currently have a mechanical gauge to check the oil pressure. I'm running Pennzoil 5w30. I used a rather crudely constructed scope to listen to the valve covers. It seems like the noise is coming from there at this point.

I don't currently have a mechanical gauge to check the oil pressure. I'm running Pennzoil 5w30. I used a rather crudely constructed scope to listen to the valve covers. It seems like the noise is coming from there at this point.

5w30 sounds a little thin to me. I always run 10w40.

My moter makes the same sound, I believe it's worn lifters/rockers.

I also have 226k on my motor.

Thanks for all the info!

Back