Normal Gas Mileage? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Normal Gas Mileage?

My 2002 Explorer Limited AWD (loaded) with the 4.6L V8 and 5R55W tranny with towing package (3.73 gears) has gotten an average of 15.4 over it's 8.5 year, 112K mile life to date in all conditions.

Note that is NOT an estimate, but actual tank by tank calculations to the nearest tenth, none of this guessing by the tankful junk.

I can actually tell by trending gas mileage details such as winter gas (when I leved where there was a winter).

Is your 14 mpg by multiple tankful calculations, or an estimate? I only ask this because of your number is expressed as a round number, vice at least to the tenths.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey peeps i have an 03 limited V8 and im getting 10.5 around town mine loves to drink !! i havent figured out why as of yet

In the summer with my 4.0 i get 15-17 mixed between driving to work (a lot of country driving with hills) and through the city. In the winter...Im getting 12-14 driving the same. With my 5.0 on my older explorer i got 18mpg driving the same...and 21mpg on the highway. My opinion, the 4.0 v6 works too hard to pull the weight of the explorer. I should of gotten the v8. And towing...pulling my small fishing boat through the country with the 5.0 i got 18 mpg...with the v6 I get 13...blah.

Just came back from a day trip to Cape Cod. 320 miles round trip, combination highway/city: 18 MPG - V6. I'm OK with that. :thumbsup:

That sounds about same as mine. Also v-6.

So I'm in the ballpark. :thumbsup:

No mods- 180K with 4.0 4WD. I can get 21 mpg in the summer (with ac on) and keeping around 2K rpm. Winter comes- I struggle to get 17 everyday... I only let it "warm up" for a minute tops. Rochester winters suck... but i love to ski so fml.

I still get 16-17 mixed driving in the winter even with my 31.6" tires:scratch:

I think this is mainly due to the tune and the underdrive crank pulley I am running though. When I re-gear in the next month or so I think I might see an improvement with that too.

I might look at the electric fan thing again but the ones I ran in the past were not 100% reliable and didn't cool as much as I would have liked so I went back to the clutch fan. I don't want to get stuck in the woods somewhere with an overheated engine. Other people seem to have had great success with them though.

haha tom- its nice only 2 months out of the year :) adk mountains are pretty fun. Although it looks as though colorado is much better- im not a die hard admittadly.. looking forward to the foot of show we're getin in the next few hours :) unlike NYC and boston- we dont shut anything down for anything...

Back