Completed Project - Not a ranger but it is a "race truck" | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Not a ranger but it is a "race truck"

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
I have my "whitey turns red" thread in here that I'm updating as my current expo build goes along but I've had enough PM's on info about the race truck and my prerunner truck I guess to justify posting this in here. Hopefully it doesn't upset the expo gods too much to post some japanese products in here. If it makes you feel better they're both running Ford rear axles! LOL

Race truck first... 99% built solo in my garage. It's a partnership deal. The actual owner of the truck is a 16 year air force enlistee friend of mine currently stationed in Washington DC working in the Pentagon. He's not rich by anymeans, he's just good with his money I guess! Unfortunately for our racing plans he's moving to London in a few weeks and likely to finish up his 20 years there and then move back here to Vegas. Our plans going into this were to race it 4-5 times a year, now we're hoping he can make it state side once a year and I may race it myself once or twice.

Enough jabbering... Pictures!!! I'll toss a bit of info between pics where possibly needed...

The basics, the truck started as his daily driver and was a fully loaded Tacoma 2WD prerunner model.

This is the day he brought it home used...

5929_544043874788_23707796_32255562_8000972_n.jpg

5929_544043924688_23707796_32255572_665932_n.jpg

Wanting a little bit of safety he had a local shop here in Vegas do some basic cage work to protect him and his wife.

OrigCabcage2.jpg

He then mounted some different fiberglass to make the truck feel more like "his".

NewBedsides.jpg

NewClipe.jpg

The bumper just wasn't cutting it so this is where I stepped in finally on the build. This was the first thing I did on the truck. He was a friend of mine and I'm pretty sure he paid me in Pizza and Mtn Dew which is my typical garage use fee...

Bumperb.jpg

He then won some long travel leaf springs in a raffle or something and well, that kind of snowballed. Why put the leafs on without good shocks too? Need something to mount those shocks too so why not cage the back half? If we're caging it, might as well toss in a fuel cell also. Remember, at this stage this is still his daily driver here in Vegas.

Bedcage7.jpg

Bedcage8.jpg

Bedcage13.jpg

All of that was to give us structure to mount some shocks too, this is where the leaf setup and shock mounts started. These leafs aren't direct bolt in so front hangers had to be cut off and refabbed and moved forward and new shackles were used that swung off the top of the frame rather then from under.

15.jpg

20.jpg

bedcage4.jpg

Not sure if there's a size limits on posts so I'm going to post this into seperate posts in this thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What shop built the single cab? Looks like a great start.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Igor from Armada Engineering did the chassis.

..Your link worked..:biggthump

..I just talked to Stage 8 and the parts just showed back up today and he will be looking at it next week..:banghead:

LOL, better late then never! On a side note, the new project in my garage... It already has stage 8 goodies on the front end!

..The new King of the Hammers Stock race vehicle for next year?

..or are you talking about the go fast truck?..:p:

The go fast F150... It's got D44 TTB outters on the beams. See... 4wd outters morphed into a 2wd beam setup...

100_2499_zpsc0853703.jpg

100_2498_zpsfc295d40.jpg

..That truck looks like it's about ready for a build thread all it's own...:biggthump

..I'm sure it will draw lots of interest on all it's different modifications and how it will morph into it's true life..;)

It's just your average F150 farm truck with some chevy power under the hood... LOL I'll do one once it's basically done and knock out an all in one posting. Not sure how much "build" there really will be, I picked it up probably 80% complete.

...I saw someone playing around Johnson Valley this weekend...:D

Crap, busted!!! LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF2WTA6Hr2s

FullSizeRender_zpsbhc5yg7r.jpg

20151128_105753_zpsoxxunqpp.jpg

Play time is over for the truck for a while now though. I'll start tear down and race prep on it probably next week for the Mint. Probably will take a month or so to prep and then it'll get parked until closer to race time.

It was cold out there this weekend!!! Well, that slight breeze at least made it cold, if you could hide from the breeze and still be in the sun it wasn't bad.

Back