• Register Today It's free!

not just flooding anymore...

phiple28

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
Well, like many of you out there, I've experienced this mysterious flooding of the engine when attempting to start. But mine is a little different and I'm stuck...

Every once in a while (were're talking about 5 times the last week or so) my car will be flooded... hot or cold, it doesn't matter. Once I step on the gas and crank, she starts right up...

BUT-

after the engine is running I'll let of the gas and the car will just stop... it doesn't even act like it's going to keep running (kind of like it would do if the computer chip on the ignition key isn't there). I've tried revving it up high and I've tried just holding the idle still with my foot on the gas. But as soon as I pick my foot up, the engine will just stop. Then after a minute or two, I'll crank and it starts and runs great. It doesn't stall when I drive it, and it never dies once I get it to run on its own. I know the fuel pump works because I can hear it pump when the ingition is first turned to "on" before I crank.

Over the last week, I've changed the air filter, pcv valve, spark plugs, wires, cleaned the battery terminals, and cleaned the MAF sensor. I've had my mechanic check the fuel pump and he says that everything looks fine. Needless to say, Murphy's Law was in full force... this never happened for the mechanic!!!

If ANY of you have ANY ideas, don't hesitate to write back. I'm willing to try anything! I read something on another post about a foriegn object being in the fuel tank restricting the flow occasionally... does this sound possible??? It's got 73k on it and I love the car... other than this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it sounds like you have low manifold pressure and or vacumn or that an idle switch is bad

After dealing with these symptoms on 2 Fords (Ex and Ranger), the fix to both was the Idle Air Control (IAC). My experience was that cleaning was not adequate and replacement was necessary. $65 for Ranger (4cyl) and $115 for the Ex.
BTW, you're not getting a CEL are you ? my bet says no.

You said your mechanic checked your fuel pump. Did he check the pressure at the Fuel pressure regulator ? That could also be going...

aaahhhhh! IAC that what i was thinking of... i knew idle switch didnt sound right...

I'm far from a mechanic....hell i can hardly spell mechanic!!!....but i thought an engine had to have a carb to make it flood...i don't know though....like i said i am far from a mechanic.

Its a 99? I know we all hate doing this but take it too Ford and tell them to fix their mistake (only do this if it is under waranty).

hey guys...

Yeah, it's a '99 and no, unfortunately the warranty expired several thousand miles ago. And yeah, he checked the FPR... checked out fine.

The IAC huh? Is that something that I can fix myself or do I need to take it into the local Nazi Ford dealer? I'm not TOO mechanically inclined, but if it's just something like a sensor or something, I'll be fine.

the iac can be cleaned as long as you are careful. perhaps this could help too http://www.explorer4x4.com/tips.htm#mas
do a search for IAC and you will find plenty of answers to clean the filaments

ok89, that link is for the MAS, not the IAC. The IAC is a silver cylinder located on the left (driver's) side of the upper intake manifold. You can pull it off the manifold, take it apart and clean it with throttle body cleaner.

peace

Mike

There is another recent thread about similar problems... turned out to be the crank position sensor?? I believe the thread was titled "stalling".

Well, I cleaned the IAC valve today. Man, that was about the easiest thing I've ever done to a car... other than wash it! Yeah, it was pretty nasty inside. It seems to idle a little lower and smoother, but maybe it's just in my head. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanx guys

'94 xlt - same problem

I have been having the exact same problem, but I think I've got some others as well. low idle, loping, dies on start, check engine light intermittently. It also has an electrical problem. Codes are Fuel Pump Ground and Ignition Module. Go figure.

I have replaced the PCV, TPS, (now) FPR. I have had the Throttle body, MAF, etc. cleaned. DPFE replaced.

After replacing the FPR I took it for a drive. It was GREAT ...until I realized I had forgotten to reconnect the vacuum line to the FPR. Then it bogged down again.

Do I have to go to Ford for the IAC? Autozone.com didn't have them in the online cat.

On the Newer Explorers, the IAC really can not be cleanned, you can spray it out, but thats all! On the older ones you could actually take the IAC apart and clean it. WEll I have found a place where I can get an IAC for $50. =)

If you have to replace the IAC, then try www.fordpartsnetwork.com before you buy one from a dealer. I'm sure that the FPN price will be better than the dealer's and I have had great experience with the folks at FPN. Good luck with your troubles!

The IAC from Torrie at FordPartsNetwork cost about $129....... Like I said, I found one for $50!

Originally posted by EliteConcept
I'm far from a mechanic....hell i can hardly spell mechanic!!!....but i thought an engine had to have a carb to make it flood...i don't know though....like i said i am far from a mechanic.

You are exactly right. You will NEVER flood a fuel injected engine. What phiple was explaining was a basic problem with an idle control unit.

Also, with a fuel injected engine you should never step on the gas when starting your engine. It is bad for the injectors and won't do you any good. Just turn the key, the ECU does the rest.

Back