Not my day with SF3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

limited2000

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited Edition 5.0
Well.. for starters, this is my second day with the SCT SF3 Tuner. I purchased it from Henson Performance, and I believe i made a big mistake with the device.

I got my tuner yesterday, and made sure it was updated and everything before even letting it look at my explorer. So, after I made sure everything was good and dandy, I plugged it in, got the information James Henson needed to create my custom tunes, and sent it to him. In the mean time, I figured I'd run my explorer on a Strategy Tune on Octane 91. After installing the tune, I then set it aside, and let it be. Today however, I plugged in my tuner, and went to Strategy Tune, and the error "ECU Unsupported" occured. I did a little research and noticed others have a vehicle code, my does not. The Vehicle Code section of the error display is blank.

So I unplugged it, thinking "okay must have been something that only happens often".. Well- Even bigger problem, I am now stuck with a blank screen just displaying the blue backlight. I can hear the initial start-up of the tuner (Old Nintendo Game Sound) and thats it.

I tried contacting SCT, and also notified James of the problem (ECU Unsupported). I have not heard back from neither of them. I called SCT and waited for literally 45 minutes, and still not answer. I finally gave up and sent them an email.

....WORST 400$ EVER!!!!!!:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just ordered one this past weekend from him. Hoping I don't have any issues.

Too bad about the error, however once you get the bugs worked out you will love it. Try to have some patience in this matter. I know it is easy for me to say , but just try to calm down and wait for the answers. By this time next week you will be burning rubber and smiling. Today will be just a memory--if that.

I know when I was using one there was a stupid software glitch with my laptop, and if I didn't click everything just right it would fail and lock up, so, I would have to reboot the laptop and then do it right.

Well.. for starters, this is my second day with the SCT SF3 Tuner. I purchased it from Henson Performance, and I believe this is the biggest mistake I have made in a very long time.

I got my tuner yesterday, and made sure it was updated and everything before even letting it look at my explorer. So, after I made sure everything was good and dandy, I plugged it in, got the information James Henson needed to create my custom tunes, and sent it to him. In the mean time, I figured I'd run my explorer on a Strategy Tune on Octane 91. After installing the tune, I then set it aside, and let it be. Today however, I plugged in my tuner, and went to Strategy Tune, and the error "ECU Unsupported" occured. I did a little research and noticed others have a vehicle code, my does not. The Vehicle Code section of the error display is blank.

So I unplugged it, thinking "okay must have been something that only happens often".. Well- Even bigger problem, I am now stuck with a blank screen just displaying the blue backlight. I can hear the initial start-up of the tuner (Old Nintendo Game Sound) and thats it.

I tried contacting SCT, and also notified James of the problem (ECU Unsupported). I have not heard back from neither of them. I called SCT and waited for literally 45 minutes, and still not answer. I finally gave up and sent them an email.

....WORST 400$ EVER!!!!!!:(

Brendon,

I don't recall any voicemails or emails regarding this. So, I cannot fix what i don't know about. I sent out a file on the 9th. Nowhere in any email correspondence was there any information about issues. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you received but posting your issues on a public forum without my knowledge of known issue is very distasteful. I understand you spent $400 and want your investment to work. I want it as badly as you do. Please next time if there is an issue contact me 1st and leave an email or voice mail don't leave it on a public forum. Please do not hang up and call back repeatedly without leaving a message-it won't get any faster service. I am a one man show and if a message isn't left i will not know you called. When i am on the dyno with a client I don't answer the phone simply because i need to be focused- just like when i return the call i will give the return call my undivided attention. I get lots of calls a day and if the person calling doesn't find it important enough to leave a message I cannot help them not knowing they need assistance. I call everyone back if there is a voice mail or text letting me know they called. I dont have enough time in the day to scroll through the mulitude of missed calls and calling them back not knowing what they want. Again-my sincerest apologies but i cannot help if i don't know you need it. Unfortunately, at this moment if you were the happiest person on earth with your tuner no-one would know it because they read the 1st post which could possibly be misleading if the problem was rectified.

Everyone on here knows my customer service and will testify i will bend over backwards to assist. Are there some who aren't happy? Sure! I would be willing to bet it is a far smaller group versus the mulitudes which are happy with my services and customer service. If you are still having issues please let me know and i will do my best to take care of you. -j

Brendon,

I don't recall any voicemails or emails regarding this. So, I cannot fix what i don't know about. I sent out a file on the 9th. Nowhere in any email correspondence was there any information about issues. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you received but posting your issues on a public forum without my knowledge of known issue is very distasteful. I understand you spent $400 and want your investment to work. I want it as badly as you do. Please next time if there is an issue contact me 1st and leave an email or voice mail don't leave it on a public forum. Please do not hang up and call back repeatedly without leaving a message-it won't get any faster service. I am a one man show and if a message isn't left i will not know you called. When i am on the dyno with a client I don't answer the phone simply because i need to be focused- just like when i return the call i will give the return call my undivided attention. I get lots of calls a day and if the person calling doesn't find it important enough to leave a message I cannot help them not knowing they need assistance. I call everyone back if there is a voice mail or text letting me know they called. I dont have enough time in the day to scroll through the mulitude of missed calsl and calling them back not knowing what they want. Again-my sincerest apologies but i cannot help if i don't know you need it. Unfortunately, at this moment if you were the happiest person on earth with your tuner no-one would know it because they read the 1st post which could possibly be misleading if the problem was rectified.

Everyone on here knows my customer service and will testify i will bend over backwards to assist. Are there some who aren't happy? Sure! I would be willing to bet it is a far smaller group versus the mulitudes which are happy with my services and customer service. If you are still having issues please let me know and i will do my best to take care of you. -j

I can vouch for him as well. Great customer service. I am very happy with my tune. Would definitely recommend him.

I can also say he has excellent customer service. He has always returned my emails and phone calls. It is very rare today to find someone as honest and hardworking as James.

Put yourself in his position; You work hard to keep ALL your customers satisfied and then you find negative postings on a forum from someone that did not even contact you before posting????

No product / person is perfect....

Sorry if it seemed like I was putting you and your work down James. No disrespect to you at all! I understand the situation you are in at times, I too get caught up in so much stuff and have to sort out it all. I apologize for making it seem that way. It was not James fault the programmer had issues. He did send me the tune files and everything on a prompt service. And I too recommend James to order the SF3 and other products from, in fact I'm considering ordering the MAF from him soon.

As I said, this is no fault of James. I got contact from SCT, and found out it was a common error in the coding after I unplugged the device. They weren't to sure how it happens, but I had to send it in and they are fixing it at the moment.

Sorry for the depressing thread, it was just a situation of a lot of stress for me.

Hope you can understand.

Brendan,

Thank you for the response. I got your email and hope everything is great now. If not, please let me know. I will get it corrected in a speedy time frame (within my ability). Have a blessed day!-j

Back