Not your normal timing chain question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not your normal timing chain question.

JakePSD

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
I know a lot of stuff has already been discussed about the 4.0 SOHC timing chains, but I have a slightly different question that I'm not sure has been answered by anyone yet. I know a sign of failure is rattle at cold start. I just redid the timing chains on one of mine and at startup, the chains are dead silent. However after the engine is warmed up, it gets a ticking starting around 1500 RPM, and stays until around 2500. Do you guys think I somehow botched the job? Or could it possibly just be a bad tensioner out of the box? It's on the right side too, so I'd have to pull the motor again, which I really don't wanna do. I bought this truck cheap with the sole intention of fixing it, then selling it for profit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is your regular timing chain question. Let me guess, Engine tech kit. Go order a cloyes or a ford tensioner and it should quiet it right up. It did mine. Pop the valve covers for a look if you are concerned. When i did mine you could push on the front tensioner and the spring wouldnt even pop it back out.

It is a cloyes set.

I'm thinking it might not be chains at this point. I drove it the other day and after a bit of angry flogging (didn't wanna restart warm, temp gauge showed normal but it sounded like the starter was laboring), the ticking has gotten louder, and at certain RPM's, sounds like a knock. I about to just part this SOB out...

I wonder if the valve timing is off

If the starter sounded like it was struggling then you very well could be out of time. Your valves are sealing well and not opening in time and making your engine fight it's own compression. I say set it at tdc and pull the valve covers. You can fix it now and there shouldn't be any valve damage.

Back