Timing Chain Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing Chain Question

Sixonemale

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 XLT Appearance Pkg
I have a 2002 Explorer 4.0, V6 with 176,000 miles. I've used synthetic oil in it since 23,000 miles. I've done a search, but did not find a consistent answer to the following:

How long does the timing chain or chains typically last in this engine?

Also, what are the symptoms of a timing chain going bad?

Thanks in advance of any thoughts or answers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2002 Explorer 4.0, V6 with 176,000 miles. I've used synthetic oil in it since 23,000 miles. I've done a search, but did not find a consistent answer to the following:

How long does the timing chain or chains typically last in this engine?

Also, what are the symptoms of a timing chain going bad?

Thanks in advance of any thoughts or answers.

I've got the same 2002 4.0 with 170,000 miles. I've used full synthetic the past 70,000 miles. I never planned on replacing the timing at all. Untill...

I just recently developed a little clanky or pinging sound at start up and idle. From what I have researched it appears to be from the timing chain guides breaking apart and the chain is hitting some other metal in there somewhere. It just gets louder from what its says in my reseach will eventually become unbearable.

If its the rear guides I guess the engine needs to be pulled to get to it. I'm already new car shopping. Although the rest of the truck is in excellent condition. Even the original trans.

All the guides could go except the stationary guide on the main chain or the drivers side head guides and it will continue to run but just make noise. Once the main chain guides go or the drivers side guides go your jumping timing and bending valves. The rear guide can brake and be fine for 50k mi as long as the chain doesn't grab the tensioner mounting bolt, it will also cause catastrophic failure. Any Sohc on original guides over 200k is a ticking time bomb regardless of the oil used in the past.

Great feedback, it's best to sell the car in working order while I can. I'll keep it a while longer and since it's a 4x4 sell it in the Fall. It would almost seem that swapping the engine out for another may make more sense then replacing timing chains, not sure. Bottom-line, I'm not going to keep it much longer.

Either I have bad luck or you got lucky! 3 3rd gens i've seen have had the timing chains snapped, ripped, slipped, destroyed etc before 100k especially mine! My cassettes were so !@#%!@ up that I had to fish out plastic pieces out of my engine while rebuilding it at 79k.

Back