Not your typical sunroof drain leak... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not your typical sunroof drain leak...

Tripp237

Reaction score
City, State
Suffolk, va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
so I’ve cruised the forums and I couldn’t find anything covering my problem. I had the standard leaking drain caused by a disconnected drain tube a while back so I superglued it on nice and tight. A bit ago my floorbored was wet and I narrowed down the problem to water coming out from behind the kickpanel in the passenger floorbored. The water is collecting in the wiring channel so I’m assuming the bottom drain hose is disconnected?

I took the wheel off and looked for a drain, behind the well, nothing. I stripped the trim and looked under it, the metal shroud by the gas interrupt (I think?) appears to be welded on. I cannot figure out for the life of me how to get to this thing.

(Edit: I poured water down the drain at the top, cane out at the bottom so I’m pretty sure it’s the drain)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the drain location is in the doorjamb, not the wheelwell.. just below the upper hings.

Mine has an aftermarket sunroof though, so it's not exactly reliable for where stuff should be located.

I think the drain location is in the doorjamb, not the wheelwell.. just below the upper hings.

Mine has an aftermarket sunroof though, so it's not exactly reliable for where stuff should be located.
Thanks I’ll check it out

I posted pictures, finally found drain but no idea how to get to the tube to reconnect it

E7A6D4C2-3E94-4709-A818-9435B945CCDA.jpeg

F95B0BDA-1606-48A3-910E-0071F98569B4.jpeg

63BB09C5-D790-4F67-AE2E-F33B75BDDF64.jpeg

basically have to dismantle the kick panel and glove box, I think.

Never found where my sunroof leak comes from. Drains are hooked up and not clogged. Always accumulates water in lights before dripping into cupholder.

I know this is a 5 year old thread but here's how I solved my leak from front passenger side sunroof drain onto passenger floorboard. First I diagnosed that the front drain on that side was not sending water through the lower rubber outlet shown in Tripp237 photos above. I also then snaked a long piece of weedeater trimmer string down from the top sunroof drain through the hose and could see it coming out behind a metal panel once I removed the plastic sill trim piece and the trim piece that is the "wall" where carpet meets the side of the Explorer. So I then removed the plastic grommet drain hole also shown in Tripp237 hand in above photos by prying it out. Mine looked exactly like the photo. I was then able to pry open the flexible rubber boot that covers the wires from door to the car body and using a 90 degree hook found the drain tube and fished it out of the opening for the wiring boot. My drain tube came disconnected from the rubber drain outlet and must have shrunk because it was too short to go back into the rubber drain. I tried several times and methods to reinsert it but just not long enough. There was just enough length sticking out of the wire loom opening for me to take a piece of 3/8" Inside diameter vinyl clear hose which I soaked in very hot water to get it pliable and then it fit over the end of the factory drain tube. You have to be fast because it has to stretch a lot then cools back quickly to make a tight seal. I fished that back into the interior of the metal sheeting and the extended end of added clear tubing then out the opening for grommet drain where it will exit out of the interior. I estimated how much I needed to insert into the rubber drain grommet then cut it off flush. I put on a tiny bit of glue on the outside of the vinyl tube and then inserted it snuggly into the rubber drain grommet. That 3/8" ID hose fits perfectly into the rubber grommet opening where factory drain tube was. Let that set up for a few minutes then tested by pouring water into sunroof top drain. Water immediately comes out of the bottom drain like it should! I pushed the grommet back into the metal panel and made sure one more time that it drains. So hopefully no more wet floorboards. Hope this helps someone.

Back