Nothing for months then all at once #1 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nothing for months then all at once #1

Neil Tucker

Reaction score
City, State
High Wycombe
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4.0L SOHC Met. Grey
Hi Chaps,

I've been quiet (unlike me) but the old 97 4.0 explorer has been running really well.
I got her in March with 40k miles on the clock and have put 20k miles on it since then, with two new front hubs put on (ABS problem), Camchain adjuster repair and mod, pads, discs, new tow bar and £1500 on a new LPG system (have save £1100 in fuel since July!!!)

All was going smoothly until today. In 'Auto' 4WD there is no problem whatsoever, but today, I was on a muddy gravelly car park, going onto a downhill muddy overspill parking area and I thought 'lets off road!' slipped her into 4x4 high to be confronted by a groaning from the front end, a feeling like she is 'resisting forward motion' or binding and when i turn the wheel left or right, there is a clunking.

Historically, I have put her into hi whilst driving (last week on an extremely wet road in north wales) with no problems, but now I am thinking something is expensively wrong with my Ford Moneypit!

Any suggestions on the best place to start?

Neil

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Neal,
I would say that you have no problem at all, just that it wasn't muddy enough. You were expieriencing 'wind up' because the tyres had to much grip. Just leave it in auto mode, and if it needs the front wheels to drive it will do it automatically.
Kev

Further to what kevin p wrote. You probably didn't notice any issues when road driving in 4wd because compared to driving in a car park you probably weren't turning the wheels very much.

SS

I hear all you are saying chaps, the only thing I would say is that I have driven in Hi on tarmac (even at speed) before and noticed no trouble.

At 2 mph, in the car park, front wheels dead straight, in Hi it feels like the front brakes are on and that is without even turning the steering wheel...

Maybe I am worrying over nothing, but, it just feels wrong....

Incidentally, she's as sweet as a nut in auto at all speeds...

Hmm...(can't help loving this beast though)

You might have an issue because of the clunking...It seems that the gravel and mud would be enough to keep it from binding, but if not, should it clunk?

That's what makes me feel like something is rotten in the state of Denmark, its almost like driving against an elastic band that trying harder to oppose the more i push forward...

Hi Neil,
Have you tried putting it in neutral then cycling the switch to Hi and Low a few times just to make sure the transfer box is engaging properly? Mine makes a metallic clunk when it goes in.
Kev.
p.s. Have you checked the fluid level in the transfer box?

Hi Neil,
Have you tried putting it in neutral then cycling the switch to Hi and Low a few times just to make sure the transfer box is engaging properly?

:salute:

Well that was a cheap fix.

cycled it three times and there was a louder than normal clunk followed by service resumed to normal !!

Back