• Register Today It's free!

o no! a/c problem question

bubbalewski

Reaction score
City, State
raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
hey all... its getting hot here so my a/c blowing hot air is kinding getting to the point were i dont want to drive... well ok not that bad but heres the story... when i did my body lift, a hose (the one in the following picture) was cut by a belt that it came in contact with, luckily we noticed it and we went and got a couple connecting pieces along with some replacement hosing just for the cut part. I noticed my a/c blowing hot air about 2 weeks after the lift when it was hot outside and i decided to roll my windows up ( since i always ride with them down) and turn the a/c on, and sure enough it was blowing hot air... its blowing about 80 degrees. so my question is, Is it possible that since that hose was cut for over night, is that the hose the freon would have leaked out? if so, thats a plus because i can go get a can of freon from the store, and yes i no its not the best but it will hopefully do until i can get 125 dollars for a shop to do it.. and what is the right kind of that a/c recharge freon stuff i can buy? Thanks all for your help and hope i can get some quick responses since its bound to be hot again tomorrow.. heres the pic of the hose that was cut:

http://img382.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ex8dp.png

and no my ex is not that lime green... i was just messing around with the picture editor :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah your refrigerant is gone. I'll not belabor the "right" way to do it... 20-24 oz of 134A ought to get you cold IF your line repair holds.

bubbalewski said:
Is it possible that since that hose was cut for over night, is that the hose the freon would have leaked out?

Yes, and it doesn't require that you wait overnight for it to leak out. It probably was all gone within 5 or 10 minutes. :p

bump. still need this problem fixed! if i take it to a shop, whats the estimated cost i would be expecting from them?

Probably $175 to $225 to completely evacuate and recharge would be my guess.

Its been so long ago since I have had this done that I don't remember how much it cost, but they will probably charge for about an hour (or more) of labor plus the cost of the refridgerant. They may also recommend replacing the receiver/dryer.

It takes a while to pump down (evacuate) the system, but its necessary to get good cooling performance again.

I'll defer to someone else, but that looks like the hose for an expedition with the rear air conditioning. I think that's what the 'T' is for.

Does your current hose have two fittings (the ones with the red and black caps) coming off of the compressor to the condensor?

IMHO.....IF buying the "wrong" parts and returns are a concern.....don't buy mail order......buy locally. Money for shipping, often times, kills a deal really quickly.

Aloha, Mark

PS......
if i take it to a shop, whats the estimated cost i would be expecting from them?
May '06......it was $65 (Summer special- check up) plus an additional $38 per pound of R-134a.

Another time: it was my AC hose $129, "O" rings $14, R-134a at $38 per pound, and Labor $175.

i got the hose and someone is going to help me put it in and then take it to a shop to get it evacuated and recharged.. just so i know what he's doin, what all are we goin to be havin to remove to be able to get the hose in there? thanks

It's a straight forward.....remove and replace job.

Don't forget to buy new green "o" rings.......they come in kits for a particular application. And get Nylog (ask the parts guy to get the correct one) to lube the "o" rings. Since the system is discharged.....why take a chance with a possible (leaky) old "o" ring........replace ALL of them.

Aloha, Mark

PS....since the system is open.....change the orifice tube (it's cheap) and the accumulator since it's over 5 years old and since system had been opened (it's not that expensive). Take your time replacing the "o" rings. When encountered, use two wrenches on the nuts (one to stabilize the fitting, one to remove). You may also run across a quick detach fitting......get the correct tool for this job.

When the old accumulator has been removed.......drain the oil out of it and note the amount.

The new accumulator will come with caps on the fittings, do not remove them, until you're ready to install it. AC oil (I used PAG 100) will need to be added to the accumulator prior to installation (1 oz., plus the amount measured). Once the new accumulator is in.....DON"T DELAY with the recharge of the system. Because, it's sucking moisture out of the air (even in system that has the lines re-attached). Set it up with the shop, to recharge, the day that you do the replacement.

Back