Occasional noise coming from engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Occasional noise coming from engine

lawrencee11

Reaction score
City, State
Winston Salem NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
First off I would like to apologize if this has been covered somewhere else, and if it has please point me in that direction.

My transmission of my 2004 Explorer recently came out (couldn't really be mad, lasted 189,000 miles and cost $2500 for a rebuild with warranty) and my car seemed to be making a noise before then. After the replacement, it started making what I believe is a different noise. This is like a rattling that happens between 2200 and 3000 rpm. I am not sure if above that I just cant hear it over the engine noise or if it actually stops. I have noticed though that every once in a while it will go away. Any help is appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is that a V6? Either way it sounds like timing chain maybe?

Yes it is. 4.0 V6. I was thinking timing chain but trying to find out if theres anything that I could fix with a kind of limited skill set and more limited tool set.

If it is a rattling noise like you described in the first post, then it is likely a timing chain.

I looked around in the engine the best I could and when I tap on the tensioner pulley for the serpentine belt there is a very distinct noise that comes from it. It is definitely clicking when it is tapped on. Should it be completely solid like all the other pulleys or is it normal to make a noise?

Pull the belt off, turn and wiggle the pullys to see if any have bad bearings. You can also (when cold) run the engine for a very short time without belt to see if the noise goes away.

Back