• Register Today It's free!

Occasional Starting problem

edwhitetail

Reaction score
City, State
Cologne NJ 08213
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I have a 1994 Ford Explorer that I has had since new.I now use it for Hunting and Fishing.It has always ran great but just a couple of weeks ago I parked it after running approx 8 miles. Several minutes later I got back in the car and it would not start.It just kept turning over with no attempt start.I went back into the RV center for approx 15 minutes.I came out and it started right up.The same thing happened this morning and it started right up after sitting.Does anyone have any idea's?No check engine light comes on. Thanks for any info Ed from South Jersey edwhitetail@comcast.net

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...The first question would be, "Do you hear the fuel pump whir when you turn the key on?"...:scratch:..Listen for it each time you start the truck and if you don't hear it and your truck don't start, you found your problem...

..It could be the fuel pump relay is going bad...;)

No check engine light comes on.
Does this mean that the CEL doesn't come on key on engine off (KOEO)?? The CEL should come on with the key in the on position before starting the engine to indicate that the PCM is getting power. If it isn't coming on, then there's a problem in the computer's power circuit (which also effects the fuel pump, as the computer tells the fuel pump to come on).

i always turn my key to the on position, don't turn on the engine, just the on position, then i turn it over. i do this so i can check the fuel pump is primed, and i also think it starts a tad quicker. who knows.

good luck with it

If the fuel pump is working try your crankshaft position sensor located on the bottom of the engine. My 94 had the same symptoms as yours. It is a 15.00 part and easy to replace.

I had the exact same problem once. Turned out to be the spark plug wires.

Starting issues

Ed,
All of the above suggestions are important to check. I have a '93 with 310K, and had the same problem that eventually got worse. My truck would start right up when cold, but after warming up, and a short drive down the road would not restart. After sitting 30-60 minutes would start again!? Then it got to where it would knock off sitting at a stop light. I checked my ICM at Autozone, and they said looks good, fuel pump was coming on, plugs and wires good, pressure regulator, etc... all checked out. I was thinking, I'll never figure this out. One day when I started it up, there was a loud pop, like a back fire under the hood. The checked it out and found that the hoses attached to the vapor cannister, part of the EVAP system, had blown off, including the two caps that sit on top!! One hose blew off with such force that it was missing about 2 inches!!
To make a long story a little shorter, I got to thinking there must have been a decent amount of pressure on the cannister. I read up a little about it and it is primarily an emissions thing, and stores fuel vapors when the truck is not in use, etc... The Haynes repair manuel suggests to replace it if it is ever damaged. Before I replaced it I drove my truck around without it, and to my surprize no more starting, or shutting down at stop lights anymore! So just to make sure I was keeping my truck legal and all, I bought a vapor cannister at Autozone, or Advance Auto for around $70, plus some hose to replace the piece that had blown up, used the same two knobs that sit on top, and 15 minutes later, Badda Bing! Good to go. That was over a month ago.
Over the course of 15 years, and 310K it got clogged up. I sincerely believe that was my problem, and it was causing some sort of vapor lock.
Sorry to be so long, but hope your truck is fixed, and hope I may have helped in some way.
Peace...

had a starting issue with a 92 Ex, pulled the starter and took a wire brish to the terminals. they had gotten extremely gunked up. after cleaning them i coated them in dielectric grease and reinstalled it. Havent had any problems since. Took me about 45minutes total.

I too have had very similar problems with my Ex (97 OHV). Once it starts though, it runs perfectly fine (never dies while driving). I usually sit there and keep turning it over for a few minutes, and then it finally fires up. Sometimes when this happens, the engine turns over much quicker than normal, almost like the timing is wrong. I have a fuel pressure tester, and have verified that it is getting fuel. I spoke with this with someone who knows vehicles alot more than I do. He suggested the camshaft or the crankshaft sensor. Is the crankshaft sensor only used during the starting of the truck? If so, I think I am leaning to the crankshaft sensor, since once it starts, it runs great.

I'm sorry guys I was just reviewing this post and realized I never posted the cure for the problem. Along with the starting problem I started smelling gas back at the tank location. I dropped the tank and the two metal tubes coming out of the tank were rusted badly. One strung a leak. I replaced the fuel pump and both problems went away. Thanks for info. This site is great. Ed from South Jersey

Back