Octane Ping?

Steve n Oklahoma

Reaction score
City, State
Ada, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 4Dr XLT 5.0
Hey there....new person here ....
I have a 1998 5.0 4dr XLT ....173K and still running strong .....but I have what sounds like an octane ping, generally climbing hills, low gear, 60 - 75mph...motor is stock....new plugs and wires....Sea Foam treatment....BG Oil/Fuel additive recently....ping (or knock?) was there before plugs...etc ...still there....could the problem be O2 sensors failing?....

Also, does anyone know where I can find a cold air induction for my rig? ...I can't seem to find a bolt on ANYWHERE????.....

Thanks in advance

Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you cleaned the MAF sensor?

Ryan

MAF or MAS? ....the item just before the Air Cleaner? ....no I have not...how do you do it? ...

Is the MAF and MAS the same? .....The Mass Air Sensor has 2 or 3 small wires running vertically...is that what I need to clean? ...hmmmmm

Is the MAF and MAS the same? .....The Mass Air Sensor has 2 or 3 small wires running vertically...is that what I need to clean? ...hmmmmm

It has very delicate filaments inside. There is a spray cleaner made that is specifically for this purpose. I think it's made by CRC. I use denatured alcohol and a pipe cleaner to DELICATELY tease the contaminants off of the filament wires. Then follow that by a spray of electrical contact cleaner.

DO NOT use a brush.

Buy the Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner from CRC. Spray is directly onto the thin 1/4" wide filiment in the housing.

It is the ONLY thing I have ever used, and you don't run the risk or damaging it with a Qtip.

Ryan

Octane Ping / Knock

Thanks for the info ...I will buy the CRC MAS Cleaner and give that a shot....someone else said I should try that as well...you guys are the pro Explorer people...thanks for all the help!
steve

Did the MAS yesterday....noticed no ping today....need to do a bit more driving under load (uphill with AC on) to really prove it, but looks like the CRC spray did the trick!...
Thanks again to you all for your knowledge and expertise!
Regards
Steve n Oklahoma

Back