• Register Today It's free!

Odd series of problems

EskimoEddie

Reaction score
City, State
SW Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Eddie Bauer EX
On a friend's 03 mountaineer had a battery and alternator go bad in one day.

Bit of background: Original battery, 7+ years old finally gave up the ghost. Drove it home and lights didn't work, except for the fogs (?!?!?!?) and then wouldn't start. AND the alternator was toast, since it was trying to charge a toasted battery, So, new battery to get him home and then a reman. alternator to replace toasted one, swap went smooth.

That was a week ago, and now, tonight, the hazards flashed and the tranny stopped going into reverse. No forward either. Odd, huh?

Is the '03 trany (AWD 4.0L 6cyl) an electronic shift? Would the ECM need a reset to see the new battery and alternator? Also, it's about 19 degrees out tonight (northern east coast) and I'm sure he hasn't done a trany flush n fill since new. Any of this making sense? HELP!! As I am only a shade tree mechanic, I'd appreciate any tips!!

Thanks, Greg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes, the tranny is shifted by the ECM

No, it should not need to be reset however you can try this, but I'm not hopeful that it will really change anything

Did you check the fluid to see if it is burnt smelling or for the correct level?

I would start with checking the fluid, resetting the computer and go from there. He has a 5r55w which if memory serves me right, needs a special procedure to change and refill the fluid.

Manaen is probably right. Start with the fluid. The electrical problems didn't likely have anything to do with the shifting.
The battery and the Alt were probably related. Overworking on a toasted battery could kill an alternator. If you question the battery disconnect reset and such. I recommend disconnecting the battery, Both Cables, then touch the cables together. (Disconnected From The Battery is Key!!! While one is still connected could be an epic failure.) It is supposed to reset the KAM. (Keep Alive Memory) which stores things like shift strategy, fuel trim strategy, learned drive styles, etc.

Thanks for the replies

Unfortunately, there is NO dip stick for the tranny !!!! WTF??? Have to bring it to a mechanic or dealer to check fluid level. He tried it again last night and it drove fine, weird. We'll see how it does today. Thanks again!!:thumbsup:

you don't need a mechanic to check the fluid level. take a look at the stickies in the tranny section there is one there on how to check and change fluid in the 5r55w tranny. It is a bit trickier that normal but it can be done at home.

Back