• Register Today It's free!

Odd tire wear

lmello

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer AWD Limited
Just rotated my tires at 7,500 miles and both front tires show that they have about a 1" slight wear spot that goes clear across each tire. The rear tires seem to be normal. It seems odd that only one spot on the tire would wear clear across like this.
Has anyone else noticed this problem?
Does anyone have an idea what might cause this kind of wear?
I have the 20" Hancooks of the polished aluminum wheels.
It rides smooth and the tires were not out of balance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just rotated my tires at 7,500 miles and both front tires show that they have about a 1" slight wear spot that goes clear across each tire. The rear tires seem to be normal. It seems odd that only one spot on the tire would wear clear across like this.
Has anyone else noticed this problem?
Does anyone have an idea what might cause this kind of wear?
I have the 20" Hancooks of the polished aluminum wheels.
It rides smooth and the tires were not out of balance.
That doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the Explorer. Seems more like a tire problem. My Explorer has less than 6000 miles on it and I was advised at my last oil change that they will need an alignment soon. They are barely within specs.

Peter

Every new car I've purchased has been out alignment from the factory. The new Highlander I purchased in 2002 ate the factory tires off in less than 20K. It was so far out, that it required parts to correct. Since then, every new car goes to the alignment shop.

Every new car I've purchased has been out alignment from the factory. The new Highlander I purchased in 2002 ate the factory tires off in less than 20K. It was so far out, that it required parts to correct. Since then, every new car goes to the alignment shop.
My previous '02, '06 and '09 Highlanders all had an alignment requirement within 18 months.

Peter

My previous '02, '06 and '09 Highlanders all had an alignment requirement within 18 months.

Peter

I had the alignment checked - it was within spec's but I told them to adjust to being right on. Cost me $59 but worth peace of mind.
The tire shop I took it to is a Michelin dealer said that if they were tires that they had installed they would have replaced them for free.
They thought it is was a tire defect and stated that Hancook's are a cheap tire.
I am taking it in to dealer for an oil change and cooling fan reprogram on Saturday will show them the tires and see what they say

I had the alignment checked - it was within spec's but I told them to adjust to being right on. Cost me $59 but worth peace of mind.
The tire shop I took it to is a Michelin dealer said that if they were tires that they had installed they would have replaced them for free.
They thought it is was a tire defect and stated that Hancook's are a cheap tire.
I am taking it in to dealer for an oil change and cooling fan reprogram on Saturday will show them the tires and see what they say
If it a tire problem or defect, I believe it should be covered under the tire warranty. Most OEM tires are not the tire manufacturer's best tire. Some members on here have been very happy with the Hankooks while others have not. After reading some reviews on OEM Hankooks before picking up my Explorer I had decided to replace them especially since it was to be delivered in March and Winter reviews were not good on those tires. I changed to Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires a couple of hours after I picked up the vehicle from the dealer.

Peter

Hankook tires don't typically get bad reviews. However, when it comes to replacement they will be Goodyear. The good folks in Dayton, OH deserve my business. Cooper and Goodyear are the only US tire companies left.

Hankook tires don't typically get bad reviews. However, when it comes to replacement they will be Goodyear. The good folks in Dayton, OH deserve my business. Cooper and Goodyear are the only US tire companies left.

Be careful what you wish for with cooper and goodyear for that matter goodrich too.

Back to the post, it could be a slipped belt internally or simple crappy manufacture-ring, in any event don't just have it prorated, have all 4 inspected and replaced with new.
Alignments would not cause such wear, I don't think anything would. How ever a picture would be helpful.
I generally put 25 to 35k a year and the number of alignments I have had in the past 12 years is........none. I thnk its a money grab. Todays tires, suspension and car manufacturing I believe have all but eliminated the frequency of alignments. 1 of my cars I put over 200k on it and never had an alignment. All of my cars foriegn and now domestic have been fine to perfect. Based on 30,000 miles I have the tires rotated every 5k.

Now bangng over curbs, ridng to fast over pot holes, construction, locking. Brakes and generally abusive bad habit driving, is not somethng I do.

Alright I am off my soap box now.

I think there is likely a difference between the Hankook OEM and the ones they sell retail. I have had Cooper tires before on the Highlander and they were excellent. However, they don't have them in the size I need (255/50R20).

Peter

I think there is likely a difference between the Hankook OEM and the ones they sell retail. I have had Cooper tires before on the Highlander and they were excellent. However, they don't have them in the size I need (255/50R20).

Peter

I have the same tire size, with out having to look it up, is there a secondary option? Like a 245/60/20?

Back