• Register Today It's free!

Oem thermostat bleeder valve

deegaw11

Reaction score
City, State
BA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 sport
Purchased an oem thermostat that has a bleeder valve and noticed the one that came out doesn't have one. I have no idea which way to install the oem thermostat in. Which position do I put the thermostat back in?
Do I install it with the valve on the top or bottom? Tried to do a search but couldn't find an answer. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I changed my thermostat and cleaned the throttle body. As I was warming up the car and burping the system it was making popping noises and I see the hose look like it wants to pop off. I shut it off and added more coolant.
Now the car is experiencing a very rough idle and it idles at 500rpm. It used to idle around 800 before I changed the stat. Did I mess something up? Is there a way to adjust the idle? Did I by any chance mess up the throttle? I always seem to create another issue after I fix one.

800 RPM is actually high for a 4.0L SOHC. They usually idle around 500-600 rpm. The PCM controls the idle speed using the IAC valve. There is a throttle body plate stop screw, which can be adjusted slightly to open the throttle plate more. This has the effect of increasing the idle. I prefer my SOHC engines to idle at about 650 RPM. I achieved this using the throttle plate stop screw. Note you should not increase your idle using this method more than around 100-150 RPM and never use it to lower your RPM as the throttle plate my stick in the throttle body.

Perhaps the reason your RPM was high before you cleaned the throttle body is because the TB was so dirty it was holding the throttle place open at bit?

I don't see why changing a thermostat would in anyway create a rough idle of low idle. Is the "poping" like a backfire? Did you do anything with the spark plug wires or any vacuum hoses?

It's an ohv engine. All I did was unplug the maf, removed the intake, cleaned the throttle body with carb spray. The popping was coming from the hose but it's gone now.
The truck has really strong heat and the temp stays normal now but I'm experiencing a really rough idle.
The rpm doesn't jump around it's actually pretty steady but the engine sounds like it has a small misfire. You can see the engine shake around.

Use new gaskets when you removed the intake and throttle body?

Did you use a 'liberal' amount of throttle cleaner? What you have essentially done is add un-metered combustible fluid into in dry side of the intake system. Its has undoubtedly washed some carbon (from the EGR system) down around the intake valves and the engine is trying to cough it out by burning it. I would start by driving it in either manual low or 2nd to keep the revs up while it work it through the system.

Its also possible that some made its way into the IAC and its freaking out lol.

I did not remove the throttle body. I was just cleaning the throttle plate with the intake removed.

Did you use a 'liberal' amount of throttle cleaner? What you have essentially done is add un-metered combustible fluid into in dry side of the intake system. Its has undoubtedly washed some carbon (from the EGR system) down around the intake valves and the engine is trying to cough it out by burning it. I would start by driving it in either manual low or 2nd to keep the revs up while it work it through the system.

Its also possible that some made its way into the IAC and its freaking out lol.

I hope you're right. I did see some dirty fluid from the cleaner go in where I couldn't reach and wipe but I thought it would've dried quickly. Should I try cleaning the IAC?

I hope you're right. I did see some dirty fluid from the cleaner go in where I couldn't reach and wipe but I thought it would've dried quickly. Should I try cleaning the IAC?

I personally wouldnt try to clean the IAC. IIRC, there may be some how-tos on here or threads warning against it, but im not sure. I would try the cheap/free driving at high RPMs first before I did anything invasive with the IAC.

Scanned the vehicle today and code p0135 bank 1 sensor malfunction. I replaced all my o2 sensors a couple weeks ago and my idle was fine until after I started the truck again after replacing my stat then this rough idle started. Truck still drives decent and I average about 18mpg mixed.

Maybe whatever you used to clean the throttle body on the engine (I never do that) ruined the O2 sensor?

Since this vehicle is still some what new to me I always noticed I hear a click sound very often. Most vehicles after it warms up you'll hear the click sound and the fan comes on. With the explorer the click sound comes on every 10 seconds or so whether the truck is cold or warmed up. Is that normal for this truck?

Since this vehicle is still some what new to me I always noticed I hear a click sound very often. Most vehicles after it warms up you'll hear the click sound and the fan comes on. With the explorer the click sound comes on every 10 seconds or so whether the truck is cold or warmed up. Is that normal for this truck?

There is a TSB related to the cooling system making a noise but it described as a 'thumping' noise. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/loud-thumping-in-coolant-system.417687/

When it clicks every 10 seconds, is the A/C (windshield defroster at this time of year?) turned on? If so it could be the compressor short cycling due to low refrigerant level. That's easy enough to see if you're looking at the compressor while it's happening, or just turn it off at the dash. That could cause the interval, but in conjunction with a dirty IAC, could cause a bad idle.

It makes the clickin sound whether the ac is off or on. Makes me wonder if it's suppose to click all the time?

My IAC does click very often, more so than any other vehicle I have, but it only caused an idle problem when it was dirty. I also notice a click or two some minutes after I turn the vehicle off which I always assumed was the emissions canister solenoid and never investigated further since it did not affect use of the vehicle.

I would just ignore the click for now and get back to it if it seems related to a problem. It doesn't seem at all related to an O2 sensor failure. I was going to suggest that you could spray more cleaner in the intake in case there was just too much gunk cleaned off at once that fouled the sensor, and that more might get it clean again, but if you did that and it fouled yet another sensor... don't want to be responsible for that. Some people put seafoam through their intake and swear it helps, but then every now and then you come across someone who claims it fouled a sensor or their cat converter.

This is an area where I feel like vehicle service records help. The IAC does need cleaned or replaced every few 10's of thousands of miles (depends on driving habits, many more miles from highway driving than short trips), like a regular maintenance item. If it has not been done on yours, then it probably needs done but there are too many variables for me to state with confidence that doing so will resolve your problem, and not likely to solve an O2 sensor code.

So the clicking is from the iac? I don't hear any whining though. The idle sometimes feels like it's misfiring but the truck drives fine and I don't think I feel any power loss but I wouldn't know since it's an old truck.
There's a plastic piece with tires attached to it that's bolted on the bottom end and it touches the part that spins the radiator fan. Is that suppose to be touching?

IAC is one potential source of clicking, as is any other solenoid based part. With it happening this regularly you should be able to pop the hood and at least get a general area where it's coming from. I don't know what you're referring to that touches near the fan, a picture might help, bu generally no you shouldn't have anything touching a spinning part that doesn't look like it's supposed to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sure the younger generation can give you an easier way but being old school, I'd connect my phone to my PC and upload it to an image sharing site like http://imgur.com/ which will provide a link, except imgur screwed up their interface to where it's now unintuitive to get a direct link, you now have to right click the image and choose "Copy Image Location" (or equivalent, varies with which browser you use) then paste that direct link to the pic into the explorerforum image link box via the picture icon above the posting window.

Some filesharing sites may also have an app to skip moving the pic through a PC, but then you have to get the app and learn to use it... Technology, making our lives easier.

Back