PhordPhlyer

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Sport
Callsign
KG$ZCI
I bought a barely-used 2015 Ford Explorer (titled as new) directly from a Ford dealer this past March. It came with the Hankook Optimo H426 tires as original equipment. I recently replaced one of them (about 15000 miles on it) due to side-wall damage. Probably my fault. I was stunned to find out that Ford supplies oem tires WITH NO ROAD HAZARD GUARANTEE! Anyone else had this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not surprised. I've always been of the belief that regardless of the tire brand, OEM tires are not top quality tires in the first place. Adding Road Hazard warranty to the tires usually is an additional cost with most tires I believe.

I've never had road hazard coverage on an OEM tire...

Extra costs that buyers probably don't want to pay. With that being said, there are tires that do come with hazard warranty directly from the manufacturer.

No surprise here. Never had road hazard on OEM tires. Manufacturers will often permit new vehicle owners to purchase it within a reasonable number of miles from new purchase.

Why would Ford *(or any Automotive manufacture)* warranty for CUSTOMER DAMAGE? It amazes me that some consumers expect "everything covered" to avoid any consumer responsibility ....

Why would Ford *(or any Automotive manufacture)* warranty for CUSTOMER DAMAGE? It amazes me that some consumers expect "everything covered" to avoid any consumer responsibility ....

X2

Actually, it's not an unreasonable expectations at an extra cost.
BMW offers tire hazard warranty coverage at an additional cost and they take care of everything.

I don't buy road hazard on aftermarket tires either... For the cost of the insurance policy x4 I can buy a new tire..

Actually, it's not an unreasonable expectations at an extra cost.
BMW offers tire hazard warranty coverage at an additional cost and they take care of everything.

Yeah my extended warranty includes as well, but not the Ford B2B warranty.

I guess so. I've had pretty good luck with Hankooks. I had a vehicle with odd sized rims (19) and Hankook was one of only about five manufacturers that could supply for it. Live and learn, I guess.

I fully agree with you. It's like everything else nowadays...nobody takes responsibility for their actions.

I haven't looked at the warranty on the tires but I do know that it used to be that Ford did not put any warranty on the tires but refereed you to the tire manufacture. They washed their hands on the tires the second that you signed the ownership papers.

I haven't looked at the warranty on the tires but I do know that it used to be that Ford did not put any warranty on the tires but refereed you to the tire manufacture. They washed their hands on the tires the second that you signed the ownership papers.
The Tire Warranty Guide lists the warranty coverages for several tire manufacturers. They all state they do not cover road hazard incidents with the exception of Pirelli which has a 1 year warranty on its run flat tires.

The Ford Warranty Guide also mentions tires are not covered for Road Hazard.
Tire Wear or Damage The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover normal wear or worn out tires. Tires will not be replaced (unless required by a warranty repair) for wear or damage including: • tire damage from road hazard such as cuts, snags, bruises, bulges, puncture, and impact breaks • tire damage due to under or over inflation, tire chain use, racing, spinning (as when stuck in snow or mud), improper mounting or dismounting, or tire repair.

Peter .

I few weeks ago I had my first flat in decades. My EX is less than a year old. While on the interstate, my tire pressure warning light came on, indicating one tire had 20 psi. I was luckily only one mile from an off ramp and by the time I traveled the one mile plus a few hundred feet to a place to pull off the road, this tire was flat.This tire was then useless but at least my wheel was unscathed, thanks to the tire pressure warning.

Back