OEM vs Aftermarket Fan Clutch? Base vs Super Cooling vs. Severe Duty? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OEM vs Aftermarket Fan Clutch? Base vs Super Cooling vs. Severe Duty?

teletekman

Reaction score
City, State
Madera, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi,

I have been told recently that I should install an OEM Motorcraft fan clutch on my Explorer replacing the Hayden Severe Duty aftermarket I bought at Oreily's for my 92 XLT Automatic w/ AC. My Severe Duty clutch seems to be working fine for how it is designed but for what they are recommneded for, especially towing in higher temp environments, I don't think I need one so beefed up. Plus the higher spinning of the fan and lower MPG's I seem to be experiencing with this clutch, not too mention my explorer sounding like an 18 Wheeler is driving me nuts.

I can't find an aftermarket clutch that is not Severe Duty unless I get the manual tranny clutch which is Standard Duty.

So I'm looking at Motorcraft clutches and an confused on the options listed. They have a Super Cooling package and a Base Cooling package clutch. The Super Cooling package clutch has a considerable price difference.

What is the difference between the two?

I was told the Super Cooling clutch is needed if I have the external tranny cooler which I do and others have told me that the Base Cooling clutch will work just fine. Both types say they will work on a Automatic w/ AC. So is the OEM Super Cooling clutch the same as the aftermarket's version of Severe Duty? Does anyone know if there is a aftermarket clutch that is not Severe Duty for my Explorer?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Sean :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BTW, YB-463 Base Cooling option is what I was told will work.

Anyone agree?

So I was doing some more background on this and after talking to a few dealerships, they all said with the options I have, I can go the YB-463 clutch with is the Base Cooling option.

However, when I read off my VIN to them they say that I have the Super Cooling package and the clutch is almost twice as much. I am still trying to find out what the difference is between the two and so far everyone I have talked to does not give me any info on if I can indeed use the Base vs Super clutch.

My main concern is if I need to go the Super Cooling clutch option, is that no different than my Severe Duty aftermarket clutch? I would hope that the Base model will work but again don't want to run into any over heating issue as well.

Anyone have any more info on this?

Once you get above 20 mph or so you don't even need a fan, so a heavy duty fan clutch really only helps at low speeds.
If you need more cooling for towing in heat I would be looking at a larger radiator and stay with a standard fan/clutch.
Adding an engine oil cooler would help, too.
I think our radiators have 2 rows of cooling tubes, but I don't know if a 3 row is available.

Thanks for the info. I do have the larger radiator installed for my Explorer. So do you think the standard style will move enough air through my radiator and tranny cooler? As of now my temp gauge doesn't really move all that much (stays between the "N" & "O") and assuming that is true since I got that monster style clutch installed.

I really can't get any detailed info from Ford on this other than them saying I need the Super Cooling clutch but again not sure if this is going to be exactly the same as what I have now in aftermarket. Even though they list a "Base Cooling" clutch for the same style vehicle as well till I read them my VIN.

.... I do have the larger radiator installed for my Explorer. So do you think the standard style will move enough air through my radiator and tranny cooler? As of now my temp gauge doesn't really move all that much (stays between the "N" & "O") ....
Is the "larger radiator" a factory Ford radiator (or where did you get it) and how many rows of fins are there in the core?
If I need to replace a radiator I always get the biggest one I can.

I've seen 30 or so 1st gens in the junkyard, none with a severe duty clutch.

Our '92 stays around the "O" with the AC running on a hot day, stock standard fan clutch, but we don't tow with it.
Our '93 climbs to the "M", but it has a leaking freeze plug and I think air is getting in the system. (changing the plug tomorrow)
Our parts '92 and the '93 have had the same freeze plug rust out, driver's side front. None of the other plugs on all 3 have any rust at all. If you're towing I recommend adding the largest trans cooler you can and see how the engine temps go after that. I got 2 E-350 van coolers from the junkyard and replaced the original trans cooler on the '92 also removing the radiator cooler. I'm thinking of using the original trans cooler for the PS.

A 2 row is the heavy duty radiator for the 1st gen explorer and the single row is what was used with the manual none Ac m trucks if I recall right. I do know no one offers stock any thing larger then the 2 row if they did I would have it!

Fan clutches. My standard clutch was the heavy duty one. This was on a 93 with auto and ac with tow package. when I lost it by mistake I used a slandered duty and it was okay for a bit but it then the truck started to run a bit warmer over time tell it was to a pint I was no longer okay with it found out it had leaked its fluid so replaced with a Napa heavy duty clutch and a 180 thermostat and now it runs way better with no over heating any more not even in stop and go with out side temps of 108 or better. I did add a pusher fan to my stock tranny cooler and it helps with it also. Just remember the hotter your motor runs the hotter the radiator will be and that in turn will make the tranny as its first cooler is the radiator its self if you have an auto.

My self with an auto especially the A4ld that came stock on the explorer I would never run any thing but the coolest and best being these tyrannies already tend to run hot and the motors tend to creak heads when they get hot. A little nose and a few less MPG are cheaper them a blown motor or tranny. I know this as I lost a tranny already in my truck. Between the rebuild cost and the two I could have bought a lot of gas and a louder stereo!

Yes I do have the 2 row radiator. I just replaced it over the weekend since I had a small leak starting to trickle down the side of it.

I agree, I would like to run this as cool as I can and with this new radiator installed, I can't get the temp gauge to even hit the "N" mark. This is in 90+ weather also.

Tonight I ran it to the store (5 maybe 6 miles total) and back after sitting a few hours since I got home from work and that fan was spinning full blast for a good 20 seconds before I got it to start free spinning a bit. At this point the weather was only around 84 degrees. Sitting at the light for a minute or two, the fan spun full blast and then shut off when air started moving through it. It's starting to seem that no matter what temp it it outside, the clutch is working the same way. Unless it's hot outside and then this thing is full blast.

Again I understand that due to the visciousness of this style clutch it's probably doing what it should be.

So I guess my question just boils down to this, is the OEM Motorcraft Super Cooling Clutch (part# F1TZ8A616G was what I was told I need now according to my VIN) as aggressive as the aftermarket Severe Duty clutches?

Thanks to you both for helping me out so far.

... I can't get the temp gauge to even hit the "N" mark. This is in 90+ weather also....
Is the temp only getting up "N"?
Both of ours run normally around the "R" in 90+ weather and the one with working AC will go up to the "M".
Looks like the thermostats (192 deg) open fully around the "M" on our gauges.
Both of ours have the stock clutch fan setup.

The original setup from the factory was just a super cooling clutch for all automatics, Ford only made "regular" clutches (which is now the YB-463) for the manual 5-speeds and the heavy duty/super cooling for the automatics and some 5-speeds with the super engine cooling option. You might be able to get the correct fan clutch from one of our forum vendors that are Ford dealers (Tousley Ford, Ford Super Center, etc.) but in my experience they are hard to get.

For aftermarket, there are three clutches available, standard duty, heavy duty, and severe duty. The heavy duty is generally what you want for an automatic, the severe duty is generally only what you want in really hot climates or for a tow rig.

Back